An Ask for Psychology OER

I believe one of the most beneficial things we can do in a community space is to ask for ideas/examples and offer help. All you have to do is start something. As an example where this is usually done, I just saw a twitter version of this cast by my friend and colleague @rajiv (Hi Rajiv)

This has long worked well in Twitter, but alas, twitter these days is, well, shall we say, unpredictable. And of course, it’s not where everybody is. Plus responses in twitter, well they just slide down the time stream.

Given there are some 2300 users here in OEG Connect, from all over the globe, surely someone has some Psychology OERs to offer. Anyone?

And if not, maybe put out your own ask… who will get the responses started?

1 Like

I guess that who would be me. Well, I don’t have anything too relevant, but this brought back memories of a very early project I supported at the Maricopa Community Colleges where we supported a team of students to work with a faculty member to create a multimedia learning activity.

The experience was memorable in many ways, but the idea that emerged was to create a scenario type game environment called Negative Reinforcement University created in a platform that no longer runs. But… as part of an evaluation, a “paper” version was created as a PDF – one done as choose your own adventure style.

It pre-dated any kind of open licensing, does that make it not an OER? :wink: Just more fun to wander down some past memories.

Okay, now someone can reply with something actually useful, or relevant!

Yes, that’s you, click reply!

1 Like

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly, but I would like to share Introduction to Psychology, 1st Canadian Edition by Charles Stangor and Jennifer Walinga. This is an excellent example of how OER can be localized through adaptation. One of the things I like about OER is that you release it into the world, and someone else picks it up and add to it. Sometimes, this adding is a new OER such as Introduction to Psychology Study Guide by Sarah Murray which is for the 1st Canadian Edition. How awesome is that?

1 Like

We’ve got some Psychology OERs here at Edinburgh. Some of these are designed for use with school children, others are Higher Education level.

2 Likes

One nice way to start when looking for OER is go to Google and put in (psychology OER libguide) and see if some nice librarians have made lists. Here’s one from one of my colleagues at Hillsborough Community College - OER by discipline: Psychology

1 Like

Wow, Ilene-- just that one libguide is overflowing with OER. I’m left wondering about the abundance of resources, how does one even navigate, review just one collection?

Then I try a stab at seeing how many might be out there using quotes on all terms for “psychology” “OER” “libguide” and seeing 31,000 results. Now we maybe need a libguide to all the libguides??

Thinking how once a pair of yahoos in California got the idea of a single curated classification of the internet!

Thank you for sharing this. Happily, this was already on my list. Fun note: Sarah Murray was a colleague at KPU when she worked on this study guide project!

Much appreciated Lorna! I will review these.

Perhaps we could draw inspiration from the geek curators over at GitHub who put together lists of “awesome” resources?

In a true meta fashion there are even “awesome” lists of “awesome” lists!

What I like about this approach:

• Fully decentralized
  • Anyone can start this
  • Anyone can fork this
  • Signal of popularity using “likes” (starred repositories) as a proxy of quality
  • Easy to track over time what has been added / deleted (these are simple markdown files, with tracked history using GIT)
  • Easy to get started (create an account, create a new repository, in which README.md is added automatically and can be edited right from the web via GUI – no need for any tech tools)

There are already a bunch of repositories with curated links to learning resources… Would someone like to create a post (or GitHub repo) with links to them (another “awesome list of awesome lists”)? Would someone like to start a new list (or promote existing ones)? :wink:

Just following up on this to share an updated (but non-exhaustive) list that I have assembled. I hope this is helpful to fellow psychologists (and those of you who support psychology educators).
Psychology OER Starter Pack
Cheers,
Rajiv

Thanks so much for the share, Rajiv and the organizing of that OER Starter Pack, a very valuable collection.