EDI Book Club Discussion July 28 - Chapter 11 of Equity and Inclusion in Higher Education

Our next Book Club meeting this coming Thursday will focus on Chapter 11, Creating a Culture of Respect. In this chapter, Brent Oliver, Becky Van Tassel, and Roseline Carter address the systemic discrimination that LGBTQ2S+ clients experience in health and social care environments. They argue that barriers to adequate healthcare and essential services in the LGBQT2S+ community are real and can be changed if medical and human service professionals are educated about gender and sexual identity as well as how to communicate sensitively about sexual health. They describe how a curriculum developed within a framework of adult education and transformative learning theory needs to be integrated into the course curriculum of health and social service students so they can be prepared to address unconscious bias, privilege, and oppression.

1. Raising students ‘awareness of cultural differences can bring up strong emotions. How can educators anticipate students resistance?
  2. How is diversity present in your professions? How do you address inclusivity directly?
  3. Does your profession have guidelines to recognize and value diversity? How can you use those values to inform your course outcomes, activities, and assignments?
  4. How does you teaching style reflect culturally appropriate behaviors used by professionals in your field?
  5. How do you raise students ’awareness of social injustice in your field while also protecting the student in your class who may have experienced the injustices you are teaching about?
  6. How often do you modify your teaching in response to current research on inclusive pedagogy in your discipline?
  7. How can your course materials such as lectures, textbook, and activities reflect the diversity of your profession?
  8. How do you critically evaluate and revise your curriculum to promote diversity, inclusion, and engagement in your profession? How often do you involve students in evaluating your curriculum?
  9. How do you assessment processes evaluate students/ ability to authentically and meaningfully address equity and diversity in their profession?
    Hope to see you there or here!
1 Like

The conversation was great today. I know that I didn’t say much but it gave me a lot to think about. Here were my two big take-aways:

1. Quill’s Free Write Assignment: Ask students to free-write about their best learning experiences, and then their worst, and then debrief about what equity looks like (how can each participant in the room get what they need to rank this experience among their top).
  2. Switching from Bloom to the Medicine Wheel: creating learning outcomes that support Indigenous ways of knowing in post-secondary education: https://beedie.sfu.ca/assets/files/PDF/faculty-portal/Teaching@Beedie/Switching-from-Bloom-to-the-Medicine-Wheel-creating-learning-outcomes-that-support-Indigenous-ways-of-knowing-in-post-secondary-education.pdf
1 Like