Using H5P creating high quality OER :async:

Ole Fossgård (Norwegian Digital Learning Arena – NDLA), Johannes Nag (Norwegian Digital Learning Arena – NDLA)

H5P (html5 package) is a standardised format for packaging and sharing rich internet content. The H5P techonology is open source, and allows for the creation of high quality, versatile learning resources, which can easily be shared and reused. Its built-in support for Creative Commons licenses makes it even more attractive for OER.

NDLA has for many years been contributing to the development of H5P. In recent years we have funded the development of Virtual Tour 360, general support for translation and improved licence declaration for H5P. In addition we have actively suggested improvements of usability in design and navigation for H5Ps to adhere to stronger legal requirements in Norway. NDLA has many years of experience from producing, sharing and maintaining a large repository of content items.

H5P is suitable for step-by-step learning and for explorative learning, and is for instance especially suitable for language learning, allowing for successful scaffolding and contextualization of authentic materials and experiences.

NDLA has recently developed several new content types together with a third party provider, focusing on reflection and argumentation. These content types might inspire even more activity on part of the learners.

In this interactive activity session we will give a short overall introduction to H5P and some of the content types available, like Interactive Video and Course Presentation, with examples from our own production. Then we will show the use of one of the reflection/argumentation content types. The content type “Priority” allows students to organise predefined arguments into a prioritised sequence, fill in their own, and deliberate on the choices they have made.

This will be a hands-on, practical session, which will give the participants the knowledge needed for producing interactive content in H5P on their own.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_111.pdf 📄

Activity Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building capacity
Format: Asynchronous Interactive Activity
Language: English

Participate

This activity can be completed at any time during (or after) the conference.

Instructions and materials for the activity will be added below by the authors. They will provide specific details on how to participate and what to share back as a response to the activity.

1 Like
4 Likes

@johannesnag I was looking for exactly this kind of resource (general intro to H5P for teaching) and your video provided just enough info so that I can get started using it on my university LMS. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for a very thorough introduction to building with H5P. I am very interesting in the Priority Content Type demonstrated, but I am not seeing the place to find an example I can download the H5P source.

Among the many reasons to like H5P is that ability to add content types not available via the ones included say in the WordPress plugin editor (I worked with a faculty to add the Advanced Fill In the Blanks type that was not in the Pressbooks site she used).

For reference to those interested in H5P, several other OEGlobal 2021 presentations include items of interest.

Brenna’s presentation and resource at https://oeglobal21.trubox.ca/ includes insight into using among other content types, the Documentation tool as well as addressing accessibility issues

Kim Ernstmeyer shares resources from the OpenRN project including a large suite of H5P Branching Scenarios, available as a collection in LibreStudio https://studio.libretexts.org/collection/5224

This activity included a fantastic example of the H5P Interactive Book used to overview Student Generated OER model

I’d like also to recommend for anyone interested in getting practice creating H5P content who does not have access to a self hosted version of WordPress, or a Pressbooks account, or an LMS that has H5Psupport enabled, to look at the Lumi app- a downloadable H5P editor that can be used on Windows, OSX, and Linux platforms. It can create .h5p content that can be imported elsewhere.

And lastly I was involved in an H5P development project for BCcampus and all of the resources, examples, and webinars we hosted are openly available from the H5P Kitchen

Oh one more (I really love H5P)… we ran a series of asynchronous H5P workshops here in OEG Connect, resources totally open and available.

2 Likes

To get Priority: Click “reuse”-button at bottom of h5p-box at H5P-demo – OER – Nettstudiene - then download file and upload in your own installation :slight_smile:

I’m a big fan of H5P but it doesn’t capture data students data (e.g. grade in an activity) and communicate with our LMS, Moodle. We use it as an engagement tool and not for any formative assessment. Thank you for sharing.

It’s not a limitation of H5P but how your Moodle is set up-- it requires integration by your Moodle admins and possibly using the h5P.com service (this is far afield from my expertise) see Using H5P in Moodle via LTI | H5P

Maybe a question for the people who run your Moodle.

Most of my project use was for providing interactive problem exercises/activities within OER content to reinforce learning, not for assessment.

Thank you! I am going to experiment right away, this has very useful functionality.

I’m sorry, but it did not work on my WordPress site. The content was imported as a Column Content type and has no functionality like the demo.

Yes, totally agree. Moodle needs to be properly set up and there many tutorial to help you do this. I will be glad to assist if needed.