A university network for OER and a tool for small OER snacks :async:

Magdalena Spaude (University of Cologne)

I would like to propose a mini learning activity (as an Interactive Activity) that fits the first area of action of the UNESCO OER Recommendation and thus the first day of the conference. During the learning activity, the participants will get to know two things: on the one hand, the network ORCA.nrw, which is to spread the topic of OER at the universities in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia, and on the other hand, the tool Learning Snacks, which will be used to introduce the network (in a playful way). The Learning Snacks, small learning units, can be shared as OER. The activity will take about 5-10 minutes. What the ORCA.nrw network is and a link to an example of a Learning Snack can be found in the detailed abstract.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_54.pdf 📄

Activity Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building capacity
Format: Asynchronous Interactive Activity
Language: English

Participate

This activity can be completed at any time during (or after) the conference.

Instructions and materials for the activity will be added below by the authors. They will provide specific details on how to participate and what to share back as a response to the activity.

Dear OE Global participants,

We are so happy that you have found this page. We hope that you are hungry for our 10-minute Learning Snack prepared on the special occasion of this year’s OE Global conference.
You will learn about our work as OER coordinators as well as this neat Learning Snack tool which is an easy online program to create OER. And you will also learn about the special relationship between OER and insects. :slight_smile:

Needless to say, this snack is a collaborative effort by several OER coordinators in the spirit of Open Education. We do appreciate your comments and questions.
Enjoy!

Best regards,
Magdalena Spaude, on behalf of the entire ORCA-OE Global team

This is fantastic as a type of branching scenario, and all of the next buttons are showing next to me. I also like how the interface clearly indicates the media attribution. I like this professor who also has a thing for bee keeping.

Thanks for bringing this interactive experience to the conference… I am hungry to learn more about Learning Snacks.

Really great to see what this part of Germany is doing for OER. I would love it if every Australian university had an OER co-ordinator!

Thank you so much for sharing this very satisfying snack! Seriously, I am very impressed – it is easy to navigate, clear, and engaging. I am so happy to learn about this tool!

Magdalena,

This is a fantastic tool! I enjoyed the OER Learning Snack and then I played with the platform a little. It is extremely easy to use and I can’t wait to learn more about it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Dear all, I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed the little snack. I will pass it on to all my colleagues in the network. The Learning Snacks programme developer also told me that the English interface will be updated to the latest (and best) version in a month’s time. Maybe you would also like to develop an OER with it. Sincerely, Magdalena

Thank you for sharing this snack - it’s great to see something so mobile-friendly.

I was wondering if it’s possible to activate a ‘Back’ button to allow learners to experiment with supplying different quiz answers, or whether you prefer to hard-code their pathway with feedback and prompting them to redo quizzes? There were a few points at which I was curious to know what the response would have been if I chose a different answer (e.g. a different CC licence) - am I right in thinking I’d have to consume the whole snack from the beginning again?