Parking Here : The H5P Food Truck

Excuse my semi-rational exuberance, but I remain excited about the potential of H5P for offering interactivity and practice to reinforce learning in online content.

More than that, it exemplifies the reusability elements of OER by being platform independent, eminently reusable, and delivered to your learning plate with baked in license metadata.

In a previous project I took the “cooking” and “kitchen” metaphor maybe a bit far, so here is a next step. The H5P Kitchen is open but not active, and this year I am thinking of offering in this space something more like a self-server food truck.

Remixed by Alan Levine from Pixabay photo by joenomias

There are some things I hope to explore, and if you are wanting to get started in H5P, or are working on H5P projects, please drop in and talk to the food truck.

My Interests

• Exploring a few of the new content types
  • Seeking out new exemplar examples
  • Kicking the tires (maybe) on the long anticipated H5P OER Hub
  • and whatever else that piques my H5P curiosity (tell me something interesting to look at?)

Getting Started in H5P

I am not “teaching” or doing “how to workshops” but I invite you to explore previously created resources and tossing in any questions. I hope that more H5P adventures will keep an eye on this space and chime in with their own expertise.

While I may sound like I wear an H5P Chef’s hat, I am far from expert! Some starting points if this is all new to you (and see all H5P tagged content in OEG Connect):

Of course there are plenty more examples of H5P starter dough out there…

So if you want, follow and contribute to this topic. Look for more responses from me as we go and/or inform the Food Truck of your level of interest / curiosity.

Note: This is one example of an Open Pedagogy Adventure topic - you can start your own here, just make a new topic, post, share, do something, update, repeat!

4 Likes

Okay, my first ask is for anyone to share their 3 memorable / impressive H5P dishes- not an entire open textbook stuffed with them, but 3 specific, H5P pieces of content that really speak to what it’s potential is.

This is not a contest, but just 3 that stand out for you. And why.

Mine include:

1. The H5P Periodic Table by Stuart R Mealor (CC BY-NC-ND) as it is a useful way to organize the h5P content types, but more than that, it uses the Course Presentation Tool in a most un-presentation style (using navigation links to move around in a non-linear fashion)

2. Sedimentary Rock “Murder Mystery” Challenge by Karla Panchuk - this is a pre-release demo of an H5P enriched textbook to be available soon from BCcampus- Karla created a fascinating example of using drag and drop to have learners practice their understanding of how sedimentary rocks are made by “murdering” or destroying existing rock types.

3. Choose your own research source for The School of Environmental Science by Mita Williams - I had little interest and never considered use of the Personality Quiz tool that offers a facebook-like series of questions to suggest what kind of celebrity or action hero you are. But his clever user offers a series of prompts about what kind of research data a learner seeks in Environmental Science. Based on the results, it suggests an appropriate database/research site to use.

Not the “best” or flashiest use of H5P but just a few (among many) that sparked new ideas for me.

Okay, you get to pick three and share. Go.

4 Likes

I love making interactive videos like this one. My problem is trying to sell them. Nobody seemes interested in the product:

1 Like

Hi Andrew, thank you for joining our community and posting to this discussion of H5P.

The focus on our organization and participants here on Open Education is based on the value of sharing not only content but how we create, design them as well. It does not preclude a business aspect, but commercial gain is not a priority here.

I cannot offer advice on selling content (I have never sold content myself), but I will say that as I can not even look at your example without disclosing personal information (signing up), there’s not much to based an opinion on.

If it were me, I would not only make my examples public;y visible, I would also share my expertise in a community (e.g. at H5P.org too), so others can see I am willing to see I have more to offer than just merchandise.

Then again, I know nothing about selling content.

2 Likes
  1. Geophysics
    infographic about geophysics, which is designed with the content types “Column” and “Course Presentation”. Behind it there is basically only one big image, which was cut into appropriate parts to function as background in the course presentations. It is important to “hide” these cuts. Furthermore there are some animated GIFs in the presentations to keep the page more dynamic.

2. InteractiveVideo explained in an Interactive Video
    This is one of my own content types (beware, German and no captions yet). It tries to demonstrate Interactive Video using an Interactive Video and I just liked the idea - and putting that itself into a video that’s part of an free and openly sourced introductory course on H5P (https://campus.oercamp.de/lessons/h5p-gezeigt-interaktive-videos-interactive-video/) just added the inception cherry on top :slight_smile:

3. Drag and Drop Crossword Puzzle
    There would be one final one, but I cannot find the link: Someone had created a crossword puzzle long before there was a dedicated content type available. It was based on Drag and Drop. The background image provided the cell pattern. The dropzones were arranged on the background image each requiring exactly one letter, and then 26 draggables were created with each letter of the (standard latin) alphabet and the “infinite” option turned on. The visual design was not the greatest, but I really loved that someone came up with a way to use a content type for what it was not necessarily intended for.

2 Likes

I am fortunate to have Oliver step up to the H5P Food Truck, those are all the kinds of out of the range typical applications.

Of course, as a long ago Geology major, I have first fondness for the Geophysics one. That is some clean design and I can only know it is H5P from viewing the source. So it was all exported as stand alone HTML? I like this as often I see the COlumn used to glue H5Ps together but this is elegant. There is my first inspiration to try a background spanning column.

And I am with you on the inception approach. I just cannot see presenting about H5P using slide decks. I am hoping to retrofit one I did last year as branching scenario, le the audience choose the path.

Finally, yes to those examples of people using the content types in non standard ways.

Thanks Oliver!

Learning Vietnamese
It’s a Course presentation, found this long long long ago.This inspired me to start creating a guide one for Sanskrit and Telugu, unfortunately I haven’t finished yet :upside_down_face:.
I like the way course presentation capabilities are utilised. Though it looks a bit crowded.

Drag and Drop Family tree
well designed and thought of a Drag and drop activity to drag the the names on the left to the appropriate space on the right.

Interactive Book
This is created by me (in progress - as trying to covert a text book into interactive book). Using all the possible options to deliver the content in effective manner.

One could export the content to HTML, one could also embed it from an H5P enabled site and hide the “action bar”.

2 Likes

I love these H5P examples from eCampusOntario’s H5P studio:

1. The Timeline of carbon output in urban trees is both beautiful and informative. The use of the Timeline content type enables learners to explore the information in a non-linear way, and it highlights the length of a tree’s life relative to the initial effort and carbon outlay in planting it
  2. The Biodiversity blitz is again highly visual and encourages learners to connect different types of information using the Drag and drop content type
  3. I wish I could share examples of my H5P work that I’m proud of, but sadly the content was created under contract and isn’t openly licenced. A brief description in case anyone is curious or looking for ideas:
    1. Dialog cards for learning the songs of UK garden bird species, with picture, description and audio file on the front, and the species name on the back
    2. A virtual pond-dipping exercise using a Course presentation with navigation buttons to guide you through the process you would do in the field. You ‘catch’ various species (randomised Dialog cards), and then record your findings in a standardised ecological survey form using Exportable text areas
1 Like

It’s eye-opening to see an example where the iframe takes up the whole browser window. Thanks for sharing! Could you explain how you achieved this, @otacke?

@lucytallents I didn’t create that content, but David Lohner did.

I can answer your question though. You can easily use the full browser window by referencing the H5P content directly by using the content’s embed link, for instance https://h5p.org/h5p/embed/34129 for the original Column demo on h5p.org. What David seems to have done, however, is export the H5P file to a static HTML file (maybe using Lumi) and just uploaded that to the server.

Very interesting Dialog Cards design, similar to this I too designed to make learners familiar with our regional folklore! A picture related to the audio and small folk rhyme of 4 lines at back. Unfortunately I can not share that too!

I am interested about your course presentation exercise idea! Would like to try sometime soon!

I think Lumi is the way to go here. Import or build the H5P and then you can export it as all HTML which can go to a web site or be added to a web page.

I’m keen to try this soon.

It’s interesting because without experience you would not recognize it even as H5P. I do miss having seeing the metadata for credit, that would be good to have as an option to include or add to a credits section.

Thanks for sharing these examples, Lucy. My colleague Terry Greene who previously worked at Fleming College had shared that tree timeline example, and it helps to put the time span into perspective.

It does get me thinking about an interesting approach I saw in the BCcampus project that augmented a text on Vital Signs measurement with over 120 H5P activities.

In the previous version case studies were presented as text with instructions to “Think about the client data and try to answer the following questions. Write your answers on a piece of paper.” The answers were presented on the following page.

The updated versions use H5P to practice and get feedback right there - they put a series of questions into a course presentation.

The content types like Timeline, and say Image Juxtaposition are really more informational, it’s left to the learner to explore or perhaps the content developer to provide some direction in the text.

What the Vital Signs Team did that I thought was clever was pairing some content types like these with a following practice one to check for understanding (with feedback) you can see that at the bottom of the case study – in hindsight, I might recommend that now as a column type with the two parts together.

Also, what this team did I had not thought of for image juxtaposition in several examples, was using it to compare the correct and incorrect ways to take a vital sign measurement.

This medical terminology one also makes extensive use of dialog cards to help learners practice terms

https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/medicalterminology/h5p-listing/

Thanks for sharing these, this is very useful.

3 Likes

These are fantastic examples, Sushumna. The Learning Vietnamese one has so much good interactivity. I was reminded of this German language course that is also packed with H5P, I like how the whole work includes an ongoing story about dogs :wink:

And Interactive book is on my list to do more exploration with. It definitely shows the potential of H5P’s range to produce something very granular, single purpose activity to a comprehensive whole.

1 Like

Thank you !

I love the way Image Sequence is used to construct a sentence! And now I remember an image sequence of Archaeological Excavation I liked this idea too!

Image sequence can be used in many interesting ways!

David just told me that he and the people responsible for the Column content are available for questioning on Twitter as @davidlohner or @zmlkit

1 Like

Adding to my list of content types to explore, these ones new to the collection since I last did much H5P work:

• Cornell Notes - I have some passing knowledge of this approach for taking notes while watching videos from the Ontario Extend activity on Cornell Notes.
  • Sort the Paragraphs - somewhat akin to Image Sort, but here for text. There always seems a use for practice getting a sequence in the correct order. I especially liked this custom variant developed by NDLA because it allowed the user to add notes and save their work, and this goes to another reason to love H5P because people with the skills can create their own tools (another thing I’d like to learn too).
  • Structure Strip is in the main tool collection and looks like it’s a guide for a series of writing prompts where each block can have specifications for a response.

Anyhow, these are tools I plan to experiment and share with (knowing the developer of a few of these is already in the thread! Hi Oliver)

1 Like

Thanks for the post. I haven’t explored Cornell Notes - I remeber using a tool Videonotes long ago. To take notes while watching. Don’t know whether it exists. Anyhow I am happy to see this in H5P content types, will practice and share experience. I would love to hear from others who have already used it.

And here is my Structure Strip. And here is Jigsaw Puzzle content type developed by @otacke sponsored by KidsLoop.

Videonotes was really useful, it is gone, it looks like not http://videonot.es is a spanish language video resource site. A similar tool, Vialogues shut down in May of this year.

These are tools for annotating videos with comments. so you can have discussions around key points in the video - Soundcloud does this for audio and there was a rumour a year ago that YouTube was going to have this feature.

Cornell Notes is to quite a tool for timestamping notes to video and more a process for taking these notes in a structure format outside of the video, the original version was like a worksheet.

Still, I wondered how one might do some activity using the Interactive Video content type where you set up key points top prompt learners to make notes- maybe they could remix a template H5P where they enter their responses (that’s a bit challenging).

I would say it could be helpful if the H5P Cornell Notes content type could accommodate the Interactive video in the spot where the video sits now (or maybe i does already, I have not tried it yet!).

Thanks for your example for the structure strip- is the feedback and what it checks solely based on the length of the text input? That seems not very useful if it’s the only kind of feedback – for H5P, where is the feature like essay for specific words? Or perhaps an option to compare to a model version?

Thanks for responding here, I have much to catch up on.