Reformulating Fair Use: Copyright Protection Facilitating OER - A Comparative Review of Latest Proposed Copyright Law Amendment in Taiwan :async:

C Ouyang (NOU)

The doctrine of fair Use has been developed in many jurisdictions as one of the key copyright concept. However, as the notion of fair use itself is abstract and conceptual, sometimes it may not be easy to draw a crystal clear line between what acts are legally permissible and what are aberrant and prone to infringe the rights and interests of other persons.

This presentation is prepared with the aim of exploring possible alternatives dealing with the fair use doctrine with a focus on the latest copyright law amendment provisions in Taiwan. In addition to introducing and analyzing the proposed amendment bill, the presentation will also assess the potential impacts the amendment may have on OER community for availing itself of a more effective legal tool against copyright infringement claims. Further, the presentation will make a comparative observation by looking into how similar issues are addressed and handled in other jurisdictions and would suggest building up a multi-jurisdiction platform through which communications and coordination can be effectively made to promote application of the fair use doctrine as an effective means of facilitating OER.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_26.pdf đź“„

Presentation Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Developing supportive policy
Format: Pre-recorded Presentation
Language: English

Participate

Pre-recorded presentations will be added below by the author(s). Watch them anytime during the conference.

Join or start the conversations with the author(s) by replying below with questions or comments, paying particular attention to the relationship to the OER Recommendation Action Areas. Please also share related resources.

Hi, fellow participants:

Attached please find my presentation slides.

For any who have further interests or questions regarding the topics discussed in the slides, please post your questions so the discussions can continue.

In case you are interested in citing contents of the slides, a prior notice via this site is appreciated.

Best Regards,

C. Ouyang

OE 2021 - 20210818 ReFormulating FUD.pdf (524.3 KB)

Here is the title pages using the OE conference logo template.

Here is the title page of the slide

OE 20210926 -Title Global21 Slides template 20210926.pdf (189.3 KB)

using the conference logo

Attached please find the pre recorded presentation which can help you walk through the main themes of the presentation slides (attached in the first mail above)

For any question or inquiry, please feel free to post to this site. Looking forwards to continue dialogue and discussion on the presentation and the subject matters involved therein.

Have a good day and enjoy the conference.

Processing: WIN_20210927_11_50_27_Pro.mp4…

Thank you for sharing the information about latest Taiwan copyright amendment provisions. It is encouraging to learn more about how the “fair use” of copyrighted materials may be combined with OER to support educational needs.

Unfortunately, your video link above will not play for me. You may need to re-enter the link or if you place the link on a blank line and press RETURN, it should embed the video for you.

Actually that was an attempt to upload an mp4 video here which is not supported here.

@oyj1 Can you post your video online so available by link, e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, YouTube? If not contact me and we will find a way to make your video available.

This is a valuable activity on fair use and copyright law and we want to make the video accessible…

Alan

Dear Participants,

In case encountering difficulties seeing the presentation, please use the following steps:

1. First Download the file , which is a MP4 zipped file
  2. Unzip the file by 7Zip, Winzip or other public accessible tool
  3. After unzip, save the file or you can open and see it.

Hi C Ouyang,

I’m the Rapporteur for your OE Global session. I’d like to finish my report on your presentation, but unfortunately, I cannot get the recorded presentation to download. Could you send it to my via email? cer20@psu.edu

Thank you,

Christina Riehman-Murphy
Reference & Instruction Librarian
Penn State Abington

@oyj1 See above - hoping I can see your video – feel free to reach out to @cogdog for help with posting it.

I have reached out directly by email, we hope we can make this presentation available as soon as possible!

1 Like

@cogdog - will you please tag me if it does become available? Thanks - Christina!