Faculty and student perceptions of open pedagogy: A case study from British Columbia, Canada :sync:

Melissa Ashman (Kwantlen Polytechnic University)

There seems to be a transformation in teaching and learning that happens when students and faculty engage in open pedagogy (OP). While there is a growing body of research available on the costs, outcomes, uses, and perceptions of open education resources (OERs) by faculty and students, there is little research available with regards to OP. I hope that knowing more about the experiences and perspectives of students and faculty could help inform the development of best practices for faculty who wish to engage in OP in their classes.

The questions guiding my research were two-fold:

1. What are the perceptions of faculty towards OP?

2. What are the perceptions of students towards OP?

Overall, my study sought to understand the challenges and opportunities faculty and students may experience when engaging in OP in order to determine what supports could help faculty and students be successful.

In the spring and summer of 2021, I sought to answer these questions by conducting surveys of faculty and students in classes using OP at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in BC, Canada. In this presentation, I will share results from my study.

In alignment with the UNESCO OER recommendation of “building capacity of stakeholders to create, access, re-use, adapt, and redistribute OER,” the study I conducted provides an opportunity to build awareness about how OP and open education practices can motivate and empower educators and students to create knowledge together, identifies gaps and areas where institutional support could be helpful for faculty who wish to engage in open education practices in their classrooms, and highlights some challenges with using technology-facilitated open education practices.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_29.pdf đź“„

Webinar Information

This presentation is part of Webinar 05 Building capacity taking place in your local time → .

Webinar Access* (registered conference participants only):
:tv: :arrow_right: Go to Webinar 05

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building capacity

Language: English

See the other presentations that take place in this webinar.

Presentation Recording

Participate

Before the webinar the authors will be asked to reply below with links to their presentation materials, related videos, and other relevant links, as well as prompts for discussion here.

For anyone that missed the live session, an archive will be posted here as soon as possible.

Conference participants are urged also to reply below with questions, comments for the presenters or to share related resources.

1 Like

Hello, everyone! I look forward to talking about my project on Monday and sharing the results with you. Here are the slides for my presentation. They are licensed as CC BY-NC. Thank you for your interest.

OEEGlobal2021_Slides_FINAL.pdf (8.8 MB)

2 Likes