Webinar 05 Building Capacity

This webinar addresses the Building Capacity UNESCO OER action area. A recording of this session will be added as soon as possible.

Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building Capacity

Webinar Chair: Alex Enkerli @enkerli

When (converted to your local time):
2021-09-27T20:00:00Z2021-09-27T22:10:00Z
Duration: 2h 10m

Language: English

Webinar Access (registered conference participants only):

Join Webinar (Room C)

Agenda

Webinar Recording

Direct Links to Presentations within the Webinar

Participate

Reply below with comments, questions about the action area as a whole or specifically respond to each presentation

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m Alex (he/him), a technopedagogue residing in Tiohtià:ke (Montreal), on unceded traditional territory of the Kanien’kehá:ka Nation whom I recognize as the custodians of the lands and waters on which I reside.

Soon, I’ll be welcoming Brenna Clarke Gray, @Melissa_A, @mmills, @Shinta, @DebbieB, @UNizami, Michelle Brailey, Lauren Stieglitz, and Sarah Shaughnessy for this webinar focused on capacity building in OE. Their diverse experiences should give us quite an opportunity to develop shared insight on diverse approaches to Open Pedagogy, Open Educational Practices, and Open Educational Resources.

As stated above, each presentation will last 20 minutes and we’ll make sure that we have 30 minutes or so to interact more broadly. In terms of sequence, I might suggest that we keep the program’s order which should lead us through a very sensible pathway.

1. Brenna Clarke Gray, Developing Writers: Using H5P to Support Composition Practice
  2. @Melissa_A, Faculty and student perceptions of open pedagogy: A case study from British Columbia, Canada
  3. @mmills, @Shinta, @DebbieB, and @UNizami, An International Faculty Fellowship Focusing On Open Pedagogy and the UN SDGs
  4. Michelle Brailey, Lauren Stieglitz, and Sarah Shaughnessy, Moving forward on OERs: Building Capacity through the creation of a cross campus dedicated OER team

I would encourage all these speakers to introduce themselves here so as we get to know them ahead of the webinar.

We often talk about leading by example, so here’s a bit about me. (Others should introduce themselves in any way they feel appropriate.)

Much of my work revolves around collaborative approaches to learning, including efforts in adopting and adapting Open Educational Resources in French and English. Among other ways to involve myself in the OE world, I’m part of Quebec’s OER Leader Network and I participate in several activities with OEG Francophone, including a webinar (in French) about H5P.

An ethnographer by training (and passion), I experience teaching, learning, and participatory-action research as fieldwork. For 20 years, I’ve taught ethnographic disciplines at nine universities in Indiana, New Brunswick, Massachusetts, Quebec, Texas, and Ontario.

(If at all curious, you can hear how I pronounce my name)

1 Like

Hi, all! My name is Brenna, and I’m Coordinator, Educational Technologies at Thompson Rivers University in Tk’emlups te Secwepemc territory within the unceded traditional lands of Secwepemcúl’ecw (the part of the world known colonially as Kamloops, British Columbia).

My background is in English literature and visual cultures – I did my Doctorate in Canadian Literature and my research area is/was comics – but I recently-ish made the leap into faculty support instead. Nowadays, most of my writing is about using ethic of care approaches to educational technologies, and much of my practice is about scholarly podcasting.

But I’m not really talking about either of those things at OEGlobal. :slight_smile: Instead, I’m here to chat about H5P. I really love H5P but find it often is underused in literature and composition studies, when I think it’s actually really well-placed to offer just-in-time feedback for students working to improve their writing skills. We’re going to look at some tools in H5P that I think are perfectly designed to support composition practice – with a few wee tweaks.

Looking forward to the rest of the panelists!

2 Likes

I am excited to see you here Brenna, and also for bringing H5P, a thing I am fond of (as you know),

Bookmark this session folks! Brenna has fantastic things to share.

3 Likes

So nice to hear more about you! Your career pathway sounds very interesting!

Agreed that H5P is underused in some fields. Interestingly enough, second language teachers have been leveraging it, which may eventually lead to use in literature…

Can’t wait for this session!

1 Like

Hi, everyone! I’m Melissa, and I teach business communications at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, which is on the unceded and traditional lands of the Kwantlen, Musqueam, Katzie, Semiahmoo, Tsawwassen, Qayqayt and Kwikwetlem peoples.

I love teaching, but I also love research. :slight_smile: I’m currently wrapping up a position as KPU Open Education Research Fellow and will be presenting on my research project at OEGlobal. I’m really excited to share my project results with you all.

In addition, I am in the first year of the Doctor of Education in Distance Education program at Athabasca University.

I look forward to participating in this panel!

3 Likes

Sounds great!
We won’t pry about your future projects yet we’ll be happy to hear about them.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Sarah, a Faculty Engagement librarian at the University of Alberta, which is situated on the traditional lands of the Cree, Blackfoot, Métis, Nakota Sioux, Iroquois, Dene, and Ojibway/Saulteaux/Anishinaabe nations in Treaty 6 territory.

I am work primarily on the French-language Campus Saint-Jean as a subject librarian and I am currently a SPARC Open Education Leadership Fellow. I am also co-chair of the University of Alberta Library’s new Open Education team. I look forward to discussing strategies for building capacity for open education by collaborating with other university stakeholders.

3 Likes

Merci! Can’t wait.
As we often say, librarians are the heroines and heroes of the Information Age!
And collaboration is key. Since many university stakeholders limit themselves to their own disciplinary contexts, it’s essential to bring people together so that the whole community builds OE capacity.

1 Like

Hello! I’m Debbie Baker and I am currently an instructional designer for the Maricopa Community Colleges in the Phoenix, Arizona (USA) metropolitan area, as well as one of the Interim OER Co-Coordinators for the district. The Maricopa Community Colleges District is comprised of 10 independently accredited community colleges. We are very excited to be a part of this cross-college, international faculty fellowship!

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m a trained librarian and the Open Education Strategist at Kwantlen Polytechnic University in Surrey, Canada. I was lucky enough to join the leadership team for the UN SDG Open Pedagogy Fellowship this past year. I’ve learnt so much from my colleagues @Shinta , @mmills , and @DebbieB and am excited to share this initiative with other open education colleagues.

3 Likes

Links: