Discussion for Ch 2: Building an Equity-Minded Campus Culture

I frequently see students coming to the library for help who show me examples of Obstacle 10 in the language of their assignments – as Judith describes, this is evident in all the ways listed that students will have points taken off or will not receive credit. I also facilitated a conversation about our city’s public schools for a community group that is trying to support improvements in the K-12 system and our faculty who attended that conversation said almost verbatim the things on pp. 46-47 in the book about what students haven’t learned or can’t do. These things come up in meetings, too.

Similarly, I often hear discussions about income or poverty, and I recognize that many of these obstacles (esp. 2,3, 5, 8,9) are often part of our discussions about student success. I don’t think we disaggregate data by race or ethnicity (possibly obstacle 4, or if it’s just not happening rather than being resisted, maybe obstacles 2 and 3)) or if we do, that happens above my pay grade.

Considering we have several DEI initiatives going, it is a bummer to be able to so easily notice all these obstacles. I definitely want to share this book with leadership if I can!

I am going to miss our live discussion because I have an appointment but I hope to join you all next time and look forward to discussion here.

2 Likes