We are all excited for Dr Sian Proctor’s opening keynote for OEGlobal22-- Space2Inspire: Fostering an Open, Creative, and J.E.D.I. space!.
While it will be live streamed, for many Not In Nantes, at the hour you may not be awake! 2022-05-23T08:00:00Z (your local time).
Therefore the next day, with my co-host and colleague @JudithSebesta we are hosting a Rewatch Together Event.
Join us 2022-05-24T19:00:00Z (your local time) to watch and discuss the keynote together. We will be re-playing this in zoom where we can talk and chat as we re-watch the keynote together.
Between now and then, or during the re-watch, add your comments and questions to the topic thread for the keynote.
Come and be inspired together.
If You Missed the Keynote…
Super inspiring ! Thank you Dr.
A few related links food for thoughts about Space and Law (you might want to look into that if you want to reflect on Open in Space…)
Thanks for sharing those @Anthere!
What a great experience it was to re-watch together.
As promised, some notes from that chat:
Keynote page - post comments, questions Dr. Sian Proctor Keynote- Space2Inspire: Fostering an Open, Creative, and JEDI space!
Watch the keynote OEG22 - Keynote #1 : Dr. Sian Proctor (Day 1 - Auditorium 450 - 11h) - Webtv de Nantes Université
Dr Sian Proctor YouTube Dr. Sian Proctor - YouTube
Countdown Inspiration4 Mission to Space
Sian’s Winning Application video
Analog missions stay on earth https://www.nasa.gov/analogs/what-are-analog-missions
Chasing Space: Dreams Manifested
DAO = Decentralized autonomous organization - Wikipedia
From the Chat
I (Verena) wrote a blog post about Chris Hadfield “teaching" form space (highlighting anything is possible in K-12 contexts) I was slammed - in 2013: https://www.openclassroomonline.com/commander-chris-hadfield-canadian-hero-and-education-disruptor/
New Space Journal Vol 9, Issue 1 / 2021: Special Issue On New Space Through An African Lens (cover art by Sian Proctor)
- Good morning. Aloha from Oahu, Hawaii.
- Hello from Washington state!
- Hi from NY
- Hello from lovely northeast Ohio.
- Hello Everyone! I’m excited to watch this again, too, like Alan!!
Introduction by Lisa Young, Scottsdale Community College
Watching Haley’s face during the liftoff was a hoot!
This reminds me of 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon - but with Sian, Elan Musk & OER
Go up in Space?
- I’d like to go now but didn’t see it as a possibility when I was a girl. There weren’t any female astronauts …
- I gave up when I got glasses…
- I don’t think I would have the courage!
- I am not sure if I would go
- I’d go in a heartbeat.
- I always love when someone says they dreamed of being a teacher.
- We haven’t had a TV in decades.
- Raised the kids without it.
- Computers are replacing the “box”
- I was only allowed one hour of tv a day growing up – so I read instead (or spent time outside with our animals).
I have that bear - I bought it at the Washington airport for my son … He attached it to his backpack- LOTS of people want to go to space
I love that she reinvented herself
analog astronaut, I have never heard that before
- Analog as in analogy, not as non-digital.
I LOVE the fact that she used a poem to apply to be an astronaut - so important for interdisciplinary, authentic and meaningful learning
I remember teaching grade 6 science - we were using microscopes for the first time. I also asked them to write a poem to describe what they saw - the poems were amazing
Her poetry speaks to me in a different way, some more wonderful verses on their way a little later
I was wondering if she already had been a rated pilot.
A LOT of engineering went into that cupola.
Earth Light - another new glossary term for me
- me too, it seems obvious once you hear it described
“my weeping ego quivers…”
Baptized by Earth light … OMG
I’m so glad to watch this, even though it’s making me wish I was in Nantes (even more than I already wished I was)
- Yes - it is so hard
- The last in-person conference I attended before the pandemic was OEGLobal in Milan. Agree with you, wish I were there.
I am so apprecaiting Sian’s perspective on “opening Space” to all
Honestly, I did not think of commercializing space as opening it, before this keynote
- Me either
- I agree, it was a bit counter intuitive, and a refreshing change from the billionaires buying their seats.
When Chris Hadfield played the guitar and kids learned and sang together - I think I started to think about opening space then. BUT I have never considered how exclusive/ elitist process it was
- Huge switch of perspective
YEs – Open Education and Open Science can make it more possible to develop and cultivate the experts we need “behind the scenes” to be able to send anyone into space – in more equitable and diverse ways.
- Many mathematicians are musicians.
- Music IS math.
- I think that it was even more common a few centuries ago.
So powerful that message for students, put yourself out there and it’s a win even if you’re not selected … so powerful.
Neil Gaiman has a great story about another guy named Neil who suffered from impostor syndrome.
Isn’t that like any escape - 3 or more days needed… Love it
I don’t know how I would ever be able to sleep in space!
- My head would be glued to the window
- I wouldn’t want to miss a moment. But at some point, biology takes over, I guess
Yesterday during the coffee break hallway convo, Dr. Proctor joined us and suggested that maybe it should be A-JEDI (Accessibility).
I have never heard of the JEDI (out of Star Wars of course) in my Canadian contexts…
- When I first heard it a couple of years ago in this context, STAR WARS fanatic that I am, I thought: JEDI isn’t TM’d?
I am enjoying listening the accents that remind me of OEGlobal
Inspires me to learn another language…
And I enjoy seeing Paul Stacey in the front row…
I really liked this conversational part of the session
Everyone needs to see the world through strength finder glasses
- Well said.
- We seem to default to deficient thinking.
There is a lot more to Dr. Proctor than meets the eye of my virtual JEDI strength based glasses
This is what I did when I went to my first OER conference. I was a like a small child looking for people to talk to.
From a theoretical perspective - she is describing the concept of third space very well
The whole thing is amazing. I may need to watch again
It was nice to be in community to watch
That was a wonderful experience. Thanks for organizing it, Alan!
Well worth watching, a really amazing keynote! Thank you @SianProctor and @cogdog !