First EDI Book Club meeting is tomorrow - June 2nd!

Hello Everyone:

We’re getting ready for tomorrow’s first EDI Book Club meeting. The book we’re reading this year is Equity and Inclusion in Higher Education: Strategies for Teaching Edited by Rita Kumar and Brenda Refaei. If you haven’t read or purchased the book yet, don’t worry. This first meeting will be about getting to know each other and an overview of the book. The schedule and Zoom registration link is at the bottom of this post.

Tell us
Why are you interested in this topic and this book club?
My answer is: I see Open Education as a tool to advance equity, justice and representation. After learning how to be equity-minded during last year’s book (From Equity Talk to Equity Walk: Expanding Practitioner Knowledge for Racial Justice in Higher Education) club, I’m looking for practical tools to use to make that happen.

Synchronous Meetings (Thursdays, 3 PM Eastern/2 PM Central/1 PM Mountain/12 PM Pacific/9 AM Hawaii-Aleutian Time)

• Thursday, June 2: Introduction and overview of the book and the group
  • Thursday, June 16: Part I: Setting Up Inclusive Learning Environments (Chapters 1, 2, & 3)
  • Thursday, June 30: Chapter 5 Pedagogies of Microresistance for Equity and Social Justice
  • Thursday, July 14: Chapter 9 Inclusive Pedagogy in STEM Courses
  • Thursday, July 28: Chapter 11 Creating a Culture of Respect
  • Thursday, August 11: Chapter 15 Is Your Teaching Inclusive & Wrap Up

Zoom Registration link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpdumqqj0rE91FIpM89zGr-bdoj5UMeZps