One thing that came up at today’s EDI book club, was the question,
“What might be some deficit-minded language you might have come across, or that we might want to be more critical about or aware of?”
Some of the terms that were mentioned were:
- Achievement gap vs. equity gap This can be especially difficult to change because this language may be institutionalized, and you might have to discuss this topic with your administrators.
- Non-traditional vs. adult learners
- Grandfathered in (or grandfather clause, grandfather policy, or grandfathering)
- Hyperactive (especially common in K-12/primary school)
- Alien, as in illegal alien
So what is some other problematic language you have come across? Were you able to change people’s mind about using it?