Wiki Loves Women - #SheSaid and Wikiquotes

It does feel exactly the right time to promote the ongoing #SheSaid drive, that runs until end of December.

The idea is simple… help to close the gender gap by adding quotes from notable OR about notable women on Wikiquote.

Central coordination page is on meta. Then you can head to your favorite language and off you go !
Remember that entries must be about notable women, and it is recommended to add quotes at least 10 years old.
Participate in adding #SheSaid in the comment box when making the edits so that we can track the impact of the drive :slight_smile:

The link to the central coordination : Wiki Loves Women/SheSaid - Meta

Enjoy !

1 Like

Hi Florence! I felt this post was worth it’s own topic, thanks for replying to the original OEG Connect Pulse on Wikimedia.

Yes, OEG Connect! Let’s see how we can contribute to the SheSaid drive:

The drive is aimed at improving the visibility of women in creating new or improving already existing Wikiquote entries related to them.

First launched in October 2020, the #SheSaid campaign on Wikiquote has been an amazing success! Across 7 languages, by the 5th January 2021, it resulted overall in 867 new or improved articles (the majority new). Italian Wikiquote was the clear language winner (405 articles) with Ukraine (187) and French (105) coming not so close behind. This is an amazing result - thank you for getting women’s voices heard.

Note as well that Florence is the lead organizer for #SheSaid, let’s give her some support from OEG Connect. How? See the Participating communities for portals organized by different languages, from there look for the relevant link for ideas how to help (e.g. the English version).

I’m off to look for quotes I might be able to help with and as well maybe finding photos to add. If you participate, as mentioned use #shesaid for comments in any wiki edit page, but also, let us know here how you participated, or any questions you might have.

Thank you @anthere for raising a call here, I have not forgotten your call previously to take on some Wikipedia editing on articles related to open education. I hope we can get some advice on other ways we can mobilize this community to contribute more to Wikimedia projects.

(PS while looking around your profile I found that photo of you with a famous Wikipedian as mentined in our podcast earlier this year!)

1 Like

The challenge is on! @Anthere tells us that #SheSaid is open now through the end of the year. Can we harness some OEGlobal energy to be part of this?

For me I thought about the field of Geology I studied in undergraduate and graduate school, a field then and now dominated by men, but ready for change (note for reference the OEGlobal 2022 Space2Inspire keynote by geoscientist/teacher/astronaut/friend of mine Dr Sian Proctor).

I am making note of the Wikipedia page of Women in Geology and began looking into Florence Bascom, a pioneer earning two degrees in the late 1800s when higher education was far from welcoming to women.

I also thought a lot about my advisor when I started a PhD program, Dr Susan Kieffer a brilliant scientist and prolific publisher of research. I remember Sue describing the challenges of being a female scientist, but more than than, she so much emphasized the importance of scientists being able to explain their work to the general public, plus the value of good writing (she cured me of writing in the passive tense).

I have some starting points now, and hope to contribute more to #SheSaid.

Who else want so join? Do you need help? Ask here. Share your interests, strategy for participation, or just ask questions.

So in South Africa, at this time of year is the 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children … For the last 3 days, I’ve been training a small group of heritage and culture professionals in Cape Town to add quotes about South African women so their voices can be heard. The eight of us added 24 new articles!

Today, on the last day of training, all of us pledged to add 1 new article on Wikiquote about a notable South African woman per day for the next 16 days!

Feel free to join us!!

1 Like

That’s an impressive output as well as for a group pledge each to add one more per day.

Is there a recommended template or an article to model? I have been casually exploring other new entries, and seem to see a variety of page structures. It looks like the elements include:

• one line bio, link to Wikipedia article if present
  • optional photo
  • Quotes by the person in other sources (articles, books)
  • Quotes authored by the person in works they have published, under headings for each work
  • Quotes about the person made by others.

Am I missing anything? I should just start, right, and not sorry about doing it wrong?

It was also a lot of fun to have a reason to edit!

Your checklist is pretty spot on @cogdog - the ideal is to link it to existing projects - a commons picture, the Wikipedia biography, etc. As well as increasing the information about the person by linking books, creative works, etc…

If English is your language, then you can head off to the SheSaid portal page on Wikiquote (English).

If you put your target person’s name in the “Add a new person” field - a template will magically engage and guide you through the process (tell you what to add where).

@Anthere has also created the informative walkthrough above on How to Edit Wikiquote. So that is also an excellent place to start!

That’s perfect, Isla. I must have misses seeing the “Add a New Person” field.

I admit I am a tad nervous (typical when being relatively new to Wiki-editing?) – who here is “open” to enter this with me?

1 Like

Okay, it took me way too long, much because of getting distracted by the references I found, but my first Wikiquote article and first for #SheSaid is posted

That’s one! Who else is going to step up and add to Wikiquote?

I’m still feeling slow at creating my Wiki content, but maybe I have sped up a bit. I really wanted to add page for a most special woman geoscientist, Dr. Susan W. Kieffer who was my advisor while I was a PhD candidate in Geology (never finished) at Arizona State University.

I just scratched the surface from some of her writings, but its a start

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Susan_Kieffer

Before doing this, I went on and made some edits to her Wikipedia page, which was mostly a list of publications- it did not include her years at Arizona State, I found better links for a few things, and added one of the many awards she has received as a pioneer in a male dominated field.

Now I need to email Sue and let her know what I am up to! She was one of the key figures when I did a talk on memorable teachers (and the ones we forget)

I wonder if I can get any more #SheSaid pages made… anyone out there doing this?

1 Like