Book Chat Live with co-Authors of Chokepoint Capitalism

Elsewhere I have brought up author Cory Doctorow (e.g. his Under 2 Minutes on Copyright and Libraries).

He currently is co-author of a book with Rebecca Giblin others have mentioned an interest in with a connection to open education – Chokepoint Capitalism

We’ve had some internal idea tossing here at OEG about maybe organizing a reading club/book discussion, is anyone interested?

Almost by chance, I came across (yes it was a post in Mastodon!) the authors are doing a zoom Library Futures webinar discussion on their book this week (here in your local time) 2022-11-17T18:00:00Z

In Chokepoint Capitalism, called a “must-read” by Publisher’s Weekly, scholar Rebecca Giblin and writer and activist Cory Doctorow argue we’re in a new era of “chokepoint capitalism,” with exploitative businesses creating insurmountable barriers to competition that enable them to capture value that should rightfully go to others. By analyzing book publishing and news, live music and music streaming, screenwriting, radio and more, Giblin and Doctorow deftly show how powerful corporations construct “anti-competitive flywheels” designed to lock in users and suppliers, make their markets hostile to new entrants, and then force workers and suppliers to accept unfairly low prices.

Register if you want to tune in

Did you attend, @cogdog (or somebody else here)?

Reason I ask – the event page says: “This event will be recorded – please register to receive the recording!” :wink:

I signed on, but it was at the end of a maraton of 4 hours on zoom, so I listened to the intros (a lot about the host organization) and took the dog for a walk.

Looks like they will tweet it out when available next week (if twitter is still working!)

Will share if I hear by email, I will have to see it too as a re-run

Thanks for this, @cogdog!

There’s now a tweet pointing to a blog post about the webinar which includes the webinar recording:

Happy Tuesday! :vulcan_salute:

Related info, Corey spoke of this book during his talk on day 2 of Aaron Swartz day 2022 a week ago Aaron Swartz Day 2022 Day 2 - YouTube

1 Like