:sync: Creating and Curating LGBTQ-Inclusive Materials

Author: Sabia Prescott
Institution: New America

Topic: Connecting Open Education to Primary and Secondary (K-12) Education
Sector: K-12
UNESCO Area of Focus: Inclusive OER
Session Format: Workshop

Abstract

We know that students are more likely to succeed when they feel validated and engaged in the classroom, but still so many LGBTQ students do not. Research shows that 50% of LGBTQ elementary and secondary students experience bullying from teachers or administrators at their school, and more than 80% never see themselves represented in the curriculum or the classroom. Implicit bias, a lack of awareness of the challenges LGBTQ students face, and false ideas of allyship feed and sustain the challenges that queer and trans students face daily. Although inclusion starts with small steps, it is challenging work that requires active commitment from educators and school leaders alike.

In this workshop, participants will have the opportunity to talk through different approaches to creating and curating LGBTQ-inclusive materials, resources, and digital content. It will present methods and criteria for making content more inclusive and reflective of the students using it, and help prepare participants to adapt and edit CCBY materials they use. Lastly, participants will leave with a new knowledge set of what it means to be LGBTQ-inclusive, and a concrete set of criteria to use in their own practice, developed in part by attendees. No prior knowledge of LGBTQ inclusion is needed to participate in this workshop.

Keywords

Inclusive curriculum, LGBTQ, Culturally responsive teaching

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing everyone today! Here are the slides I’ll use during the workshop, if you’d like to follow along:

1 Like

Links that were shared in chat during this workshop:

Sources for Diverse Images:

Resources on inclusive writing:

1 Like

Thank you @sabiaprescott. Very interesting concepts and resources about inclusiveness, useful for anyone involved in creating OER.

Here’s the recording of the workshop:

I hope you don’t mind, I edited your reply a little so to embed the slides better. :

1 Like