Flickr Creative Commons License Quiz

I am an unabashed lover of Flickr (I joined a month after they launched).

In that first year (2004), Flickr incorporated Creative Commons Licenses and in 2021 is one of the largest collections of CC licensed content (over 500 million works they say) including key collections like the Flickr Commons.

Let’s check some assumptions about that 500 million collection with a quick poll. Which Creative Commons license do you think is most used amongst those?

• Attribution (CC BY)
  • Attribution-NoDerivs (CC BY-ND)
  • Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND)
  • Attribution-NonCommercial License (CC BY-NC)
  • Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)
  • Attribution-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA)
  • Public Domain Dedication (CC0)

0 voters

What is the reasoning behind your guess?

This was one bit of information shared in a flickr blog post A Look at Nearly Two Decades of Creative Commons Licenses on Flickr including examples of the most popular accounts that share photos under Creative Commons (hint- space exploration) and the five most popular CC license photos (with viewership in the 2-7 million range, quite beyond my numbers!)

There is also a stunning collection from a Explore takeover of CC licensed photos of the four elements: earth, water, air, and fire. There has to be a metaphorical or blog worthy mage in there.

I was mesmerized by this photo of aspen by Jay Huang

Imgur
Autumn Symphony flickr photo by Jaykhuang shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license

What about you? See any standouts there? Are you as crazy about flickr as me?

2 Likes

I loved flickr until they started telling me I had to pay for a Pro account if I wanted to continue to use it. All of my work had a CC license, yet they continued to ask me for money. I discovered many interesting artists, photographers, and people in the Open community from that site. If there was a way to use it without paying I’ll go back.

Hi Cathy, I wish the new ownership had treated existing users better, the Yahoo era set the expectation that almost unlimited use would be free. I can’t foresee any changes. I’ve been resolved that the service is worth enough for me to pay.

I miss using it. I am considering going back. I would like to contribute to a community with an expansive collection. The community has exceptional images! :camera_flash:

It was you Alan who inspired me to create my flickr account. I started in 2015 with a 365 photo album jumping in in September. I did struggle with the yahoo account a bit and I don’t mind paying for the service now. I had no idea I had so many pictures up there. I love being able to see the stats and to share and look back on my albums. Next up, I have to get better about tagging.