How to Improve Faculty Training and Support for Open Pedagogy

During the Open Pedagogy Summer Adventure Launch Party @amandataintor responded to an offer to create a new topic thread for anyone that asked, so this one is for you Amanda! Take it over :wink: Note: Alan is sneaky, he wrote this post and “gave” ownership to Amanda.

So please share here your thoughts, suggestions, links related to improving faculty development that helps them take on using an Open Pedagogy Approach.

One of those might be shaping the idea of helping faculty identify something “small” or readily doable as a first step in, maybe just adjusting or recasting the activity for a single assignment.

1 Like

I recently came across this “not so small” OER by David Buck at Howard College, “Essentials for ENGL-121: Texts on Writing, Language, and Literacy”

https://pressbooks.howardcc.edu/essentials/

Is it itself built upon Open English at SLCC opentext from Salt Lake Community College.

But my interest was the activities David shared that revolve the writing genres associated with the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Not only do the students listen to three key TED Talks, he has them provide commentary and contribute more information to the talks by web annotation of the transcripts. See the richness of the student annotations here

https://pressbooks.howardcc.edu/essentials/chapter/transcript-how-to-make-the-world-a-better-place-by-2030sp21/

And how this public act of annotation adds value to the original talk.

I am researching the sustainability of creating and acquiring digital educational content. I am currently conducting 20 min interviews with educational content creators and instructors who use digital content in their teaching.
What I am seeing is a gap between the needs/problems of content creators and instructors. I believe that we need to find a way to incentivize these two parties to help each other. Right now they seem to be quite separated, except those small pockets of people who do both. But this does not scale!!! So as a community, who is interested in the scale, we need to find ways to bring these parties together. The interviews I am conducting range from elementary to post-secondary level. The content creators are the ones that post free educational resources on social media and other paid-for outlets. I have not yet found a way to contact instructional designers at the post-secondary level. If you know any please let me know.

The example of David Buck is interesting as it uses the activity to promote the ideas in UN Sustainable Dvelopment Goals and enriches the content so that the next course or next instructor has more valuable content. Specifically as we care for the content to be enriched with diverse points of views and experiences. I would imagine that in 10 years these comments that students shared would be even great data source for graduate students researching how our values changed in our society - like an socio-archeological trace. On the other side, we have the content creators who have their content used in a specific contntext, should be able to use the assigment by David Buck as validation/proof of the value of the content to other universities. The questions is, the content creators of the TED talks, do they have an easy way to proof or demonstrate that their content was used in the context of higher education? If so how? If not, how would we motivate instructors who use freely available content to provide such proof to support the content creators mission?

This is the crux of what I am trying to understand. In essence, what dynamics do we need between content creators and content users (curators) to ultimately benefit the end-user (student)?

Thanks for sharing your research, Iwona. This seems like the goal sought in our field for a long time. There seems to me some tension between the once idea that the answer was large repositories full of learning content with robust metadata versus the idea of a large public commons where it was shared freely but managed/sustained by the creators. That is what allows educators like David Buck to tap into TED content.

I think we are going to be somewhere in between for a while, but I am often wrong. It would take a rather complex system used widely to create that feedback from users of content to creators.

I do not know of specific means to contact instructional designers in higher ed. There are likely some emailing lists and conferences largely attended, maybe it’s a reach out on social media. I can think of a few I could maybe put you in touch with, and then maybe they have suggestions.

I can also think of @EricaHargreave who is here on OEG Connect and presented on similar concepts at the OEG 2020 conference. She is very keen on this dynamic of building connections between users and creators of content.

Please keep us posted here on your progress, ask more questions, there are more people just starting to join this space

Thank you!
@EricaHargreave is great suggestion. She has been very dedicated to sustainable content creation. I have been following vlog on this topic. I look forward to interviewing her!

Today I will be interviewing @brsmith so I am really looking forward to learning about her work in ‘tracing’ OER usage.

I can writhe a short introduction to email for you and if you can forward it to instructional designers that would be greatly appreciated.
My email:
iwona.sokalska@ryerson.ca

You research sounds very interesting because there is a gap in higher education between the content creators and instructors. There are not many people who have instructional technology backgrounds and teaching combined. In the future, the new instructors will have to master both of these skills.