Made a New Friend Today, Thanks to OE Global

One of the things I love about conferences is that they spark you into action, and get you starting new conversations. Today that wasn’t actually with someone within the conference, although I did enjoy listening to others share their ideas here, but with someone I interviewed today to share a different perspective for @Jonesy’s and my talk on Wednesday on Accessibility of Open Educational Resources in Online Learning. The person in question is this beautifully spoken author, Jayne Barnard - @J_E_Barnard on twitter - who was generous enough to share with me why she stepped away from her Master’s, despite being extremely intelligent and capable, due to inaccessibility issues in online education. We will share a tease to that interview tomorrow, and the full interview at a later date.

The project that Lori, Eva, and I are embarking on is one that we’d love other collaborators on, as we strive to change the way we approach accessibility, perceive disability, and recognize ableism.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, @EricaHargreave. Stepping outside our normal, day-to-day routine often sparks creativity. Thanks for being a part of #OEGlobal 20!

1 Like

I actually don’t have a normal day to day routine (my life and work is rather eclectic), but I do sometimes need a spark to set a new project in motion, which is what I used my Lightning Talk to do yesterday, thanks to OE Global, along with my friend Kat helping that catalyst along by introducing to one of her communities what I was dreaming and scheming on. I love such excuses to take the time to ask people about their stories, to truly take / make the time to listen, and to be fortunate in that they trust me with their stories (which in the case of yesterday was very much thanks to Kat making that introduction).

Thanks Susan for all the work that you and your team are doing to host a wonderful conference / sharing of ideas.

1 Like