Monday Pulse: Your Open Education Week Experience

This week’s OEG Monday Pulse is doing double duty as the first Do OE Week activity– please respond to the poll below!

Like we did in 2021 and again in 2022 we asked the community to share the year of their first participation in Open Education Week.

Please respond to the poll but also below what you remember from that first experience. Or tell us what you hope to get out of this in 2023.

What year did you first participate in Open Education Week?
  • 2012 - I was here from the start
  • 2023 - This year is my first!

0 voters

Tell us more! What do you remember from your first OE Week? What did you take away?

I guess I have to get the reply party started!

My first response was 2021 since I joined OE Global after the March 2020 iteration. I had heard of OEWeek over the years but thought I had not participated directly.

Then a search of my own blog revealed that in 2015 I co-presented with Brian Lamb on our work together at Thompson Rivers University in a session from Victoria that was co-ordinated with OEWeek activities from BCCampus that was arranged I think by @clintlalonde.

What a long time ago! We were sharing our enthusiasm for the Open Web. While the archive recording vanished at least the web site we presented from (on the open web) is still there on the open web.

That photo on the preview is one of my favorite “photos about open” if I remember correctly it was from a shop somewhere in Vancouver.

In all, it was encouraging thinking that our session done for a small in person audience, an unknown online audience it was streamed to, was even part of a larger set of co-shared events that make up Open Education Week.

There is a blog post and also a bit of memory about one of my whacky ideas for the presentation that did not exactly succeed (ask Brian for the details! or not).

Regardless, it does stand out for me to have been part of a global event.

PS. As it turns out I found out you can return to the poll and change my own response, how about that?

So where is your response to the poll? And your stories! Alan wants your stories…

Hahaha! I DO remember that presentation so well and was very happy to have been able to bring you and Brian to Victoria for that talk at UVic (Valerie Irvine at UVic was also involved). It was memorable not only for the presentation but also for that pre-event Twitter activities (of which I still harbour feelings of guilt for submitting Martin Weller to). Some photographic evidence All in good fun | Photo evidence that they were all smiles l… | Flickr

You are not responsible Clint for that attempt at some internet stage show, that was an idea I tossed to Brian on the Ferry ride over from Vancouver, to play out in Twitter as if we were arguing. It flopped terribly.