OEG Live: Report from The Scenes at Wikimania Singapore

Wikimania 2023 is happening August 16-19 as the gathering for everything and everybody involved with the Wikimedia Foundation’s open knowledge projects. Fortunately for OEGlobal, our own @IslaHF is going to be there and offered to coordinate a live sharing session to give a small taste of the offerings from the vast program of activities. Isla is working to organize other open educators there who are willing to share what they are seeing, hearing, and doing.

wikimania2023-banner
Wikimania 2023 Banner image from Wikimedia Commons shared under Creative Commons CCO

Tune in for our OEG Live report from Wikimania!

When (in your local time): 2023-08-16T02:00:00Z

Watch live or see recording later. No registration required. Participate via the live stream using the chat to ask questions/send comments directly to guests in the studio.

Watch live on YouTube, send questions/comments to the studio, or see the recording later

Guests : in progress, but if you are attending Wikimania and wish to join the broadcast, please contact @IslaHF

Note that Wikimania offers online participation for free, register now at https://eventyay.com/e/8f889410 to be part of the event from afar.

And if you are attending a conference related to open education in anyway and are interested in sharing the experience with us, let me know! We are happy to set up an OEG Live session for everyone here,

2 Likes

Hi. I’m sorry to see that OEG has decided to stream on Twitter, which, under Musk’s ownership, bans journalists and academics, and promotes the full menu of anti-worker, anti-science, anti-public health, censorship and hatred.

Sincerely,

Larry Cooperman
Former President, OEG

Point taken, Larry. This is not an endorsement of these acts nor was this any official OEG decision, I take responsibility was this was my experiment in streaming to places other than YouTube.

We have been proactive in promoting the Fediverse and established our Mastodon presence last year. With all that is is unraveling we are working like many others to reach open educators.

I appreciate your candor and hope to extend this as an open conversation.

Alan

Alan, thanks for your quick reply. I think you’ll find an overall negative response from the OE community and I know that you’ve supported the members transitioning to Mastodon and other platforms, so I hope this will be just a minor blip.

Just today, the Australian public broadcasting announced the closure of most of its Twitter accounts: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/09/abc-australia-leaves-twitter-x-elon-musk?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other.

Thanks again for your thoughtful reply.

Best,

Larry

The blip has been addressed (x removed from the stream plans) and hope to open more discussion.

Now, let’s take the conversation to talk about connecting with the Wikimania conference…

Thanks for adding this info, @cogdog!

I am excited to meet up with those of you who are going to be at Wikimania … see the meetup room request here: 2023:Meetups/OEG Live at Wikimania - Wikimania

Feel free to sign up if you want to take part in this chat! Or drop me an email at isla@oeglobal.org or User:Islahaddow

Thanks for raising this valid point and concern @LarryCooperman!

We’ve all been a bit at sea regarding Twitter / X – and as @cogdog has said, we’ve been supporting the move to Mastodon, but we also don’t want to leave open educators and activists behind.

For many, this is the only platform they are on. Until they catch up, we’ll still share our alerts there - but no live broadcasts. However, we are definitely concentrating more heavily on other platforms.

It’s night time in Singapore but we will be there live in their morning! Looking forward to hearing and seeing what’s happening at Wikimania.

Hello from Wikimania! Thanks to @cogdog for hosting our discussion earlier!

Here are a few links for you to participate in Wikimania from wherever you are … With more than 3,000 registrations from 138 countries, you can access the online events on eventyay.

Today – the hybrid programming kicks off at 10.00 Singapore time (02:00 UTC), and there’s a lot to choose from. There will be a series of talks and hands-on workshops about Wikisource, Commons, and Wikipedia basics, as well as leadership development sessions brought to you by LetsConnect and the Leadership Development Working Group (in-person only), day 2 of the Hackathon, and the first ever WikiWomen Summit—a day of gender equity-related presentations and open discussions with Wikimedians from around the world.

During the discussion on OEG Live, we mentioned Wikiversity … if you are curious about this vast resource, you can find it here: https://en.wikiversity.org

Joining us was Dr. Netha Hussain, a medical doctor from India, Peter Gallert, a senior lecturer from Namibia, Filiip Maljković from Wikimedia Serbia and the Wikipedia & Education User Group, and OEGlobal’s Isla Haddow-Flood who is also a Wikipedian that co-runs Wiki In Africa.

Thanks so much for organizing this! I found Dr Hussain’s Open Pathology project in Wikiversity

https://en.m.wikiversity.org/wiki/Open_Pathology_Project

and I’d be curious to see the page Peter described about the trees in Namibia.

I’m really keen to mobilize more OEGlobal activity with Wikimedia initiatives , if anything we should be able to be more active in the photo projects.

1 Like