OEG Monday Pulse: Current Focus (or not) on Open Courseware

Thanks for responses to our first Monday pulse poll – the results indicate much more multilingual capability than your humble poll maker.

This week, we ask about Open CourseWare (OCW) (Wikipedia ref, defines as “course lessons created at universities and published for free via the Internet.”

OCW was a primary focus of the original organization that evolved to be Open Education Global, starting in 2008 as the Open Courseware Consortium (OCWC), influence much by the leadership of MIT OCW.

It’s hardly waned at MIT, which currently shares over 2500 open courses and is still in their current news.

So let’s take a pulse on Open CourseWare at your organization/institution. What is the level of activity, use, interest?

What is the level of activity / interest in Open Courseware at your instution?
  • Very Strong / Active
  • Still listed, less development / use
  • Not updated in a while
  • Less Use / Interest
  • No longer maintained
  • What the heck is OCW?

0 voters

Please share any more details about the current status of OCW where you are in a reply below.

Or perhaps, explore some of the MIT OCW courses, which one might your explore if you have some time? For me, I might be curious about the 2021 course materials on Game Theory.

Not too many poll takers here, but that’s how they go. If you have ideas for better polls, you know where to find me.

Just for fun, I was digging through my web archives, and found reference to the Foothill-DeAnza Community College 2004 vintage Sofia project (Sharing Of Free Intellectual Assets) aiming to provide community college OCW in the spirit of MIT. Sofia can be explored via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine including the gallery of 8 example courses. All were shared under a version 1.0 Creative Commons CC BY-NC license which at the time, CC licenses were only 2 years old

Sofia project web site circa 2005 from the Internet archive Wayback Machine

Let’s hear it for the community college innovation spirit! Does anyone remember this project?

It might make for a good Wikipedia article (cough cough, hint hint) Do we as open educators do enough to curate the history of our field?

1 Like

Sofia is a great name for an open content project!

2 Likes

I see that the Wikipedia article for Open Educational Resources doesn’t mention the Sofia project at all. Not sure if Sofia would merit a WP entry of its own but certainly a mention in the ‘history’ part of the WP article mentioned above. I’d be happy to add something (unless someone else has something already in the works?)

I’m conceptually understanding of Wikipedia and know there is a criteria for significance, so can appreciate that it does not merit an article. I thought maybe more appropriate in the article on Open CourseWare but see perhaps a lot of needs/issues on that article (the conflating of MOOCs and OCW? the listing for the Americas by linking to articles for an institution).

Also interesting to see what is listed and missing in the OpenCourseWare Category (?)

I’d really be keen to mobilize through OEGlobal some kind of organized effort to improve many of the articles related to Open Education. It’s come up here before, can we create a Wikipedia Open Education Squad? :wink:

Heya @IslaHF, you don’t want to miss this! :wink:

It is a wonderful idea Alan, I am happy to join forces!

El El mar, 22 nov 2022 a las 5:42, Alan Levine via OE Global Connect <connect@oeglobal.org> escribió:

It’s also the name for the shared Integrated Library System for Quebec universities’ libraries. Unfortunately for us, as OE advocates, they’re using OCLC WorldCat.

(It was also the name of a custom Student Information System which was meant for Quebec-wide adoption in colleges, though I think that was spelled “Sophia”. What took over is a proprietary system called Clara, by Skytech Communications.)

It’s a name to be inspired by, with class…

And the OER, please? Where is the OER? Oh, I have the OER

:wink:

I’m still parsing what I learned in a recent Wikidata workshop, but there are ways to cross connect things, even making Wikidata queries that leverage external systems (okay I have a lot to learn), but OCLC WorldCat IDS are a Wikidata property

Hearing those project names Sophia and Clara, reminded me of Rachel (Remote Area Community Hotspot for Education and Learning), another project, in this case using open technologies.

They couldn’t add an ‘a’ in there?

1 Like