OEG Voices 054: Walking on the Flaggy Shore With Catherine Cronin

Originally published at: OEG Voices 054: Walking on the Flaggy Shore With Catherine Cronin – OEGlobal Voices

Recorded way back in the early part of the year, we finally get to share this conversation with Catherine Cronin, independent open education, scholar, researcher, and all around champion of openness. We start with a bit of location setting for Catherine’s home near Galway Island, with a description of the picturesque Flaggy Shore where she often walks. Our conversation walks along with Catherine from her upbringing and influences growing up in New York City, to multiple academic degrees (Engineering, Women’s Studies, and Open Education), experiences of teaching and research, her leadership with Ireland’s National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching…

2 Likes

I hope many in the open education community get to hear our podcast conversation with @catherinecronin and then use this space to respond with thoughts, questions, and your experiences gained from all that Catherine has shared in her career.

There was a quote I missed adding to the post that I said I would during the conversation! I had asked Catherine about her early education experience, what kind fo student she was, and also, who were her memorable teachers.

There were teachers, like Mr. Cathill I remember who really encouraged me in what I would call now Maths. And he gave me a lot of confidence and as well as my social studies teacher, Mrs. Ross. It’s amazing how these people just stay in our minds, don’t they? Just giving you horizons beyond where you needed you to stretch, beyond where you thought you could go.

That expression of teachers is so resonant-- those who give you horizons beyond where you needed you to stretch, beyond where you thought you could go.

And I also remember long ago being so influenced of Catherine’s framing of “bounded online spaces” as a 3rd space, braking the dichotomy of virtual vs in person.

2 Likes

Catherine just blogged about her Higher Education for Good presentation at OER23

1 Like

Just spotted from Catherine’s co-author Laura Czerniewicz has shared a post outlining ideas she and Catherine developed from their Higher Education for Good book, “five tenets towards a Manifesto for Higher Education for Good”

These are:

• Tenet 1: Name and analyse the troubles of HE
  • Tenet 2: Challenge assumptions and resist hegemonies
  • Tenet 3: Make claims for a just, humane and globally sustainable HE
  • Tenet 4: Courageously imagine and share fresh possibilities.
  • Tenet 5: Make positive changes here and now

Read Laura’s post for more about these tenets

2 Likes

I loved having this conversation with you and Una, Alan! thanks for the chance to chat – and thanks for all you do :slight_smile: