OER creation - how long does it take - share case studies

I know the OE week is over, but the quest for excellent advocacy resources never ends.

I am looking for different examples that showcase effort/time needed to develop or adapt an OER.

Here are a couple that I found:

Please share what you have come across :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought I would also share my own experience of providing feedback on OERs and how long it takes, as this is relevant.

Today, it took me about 1 hour to provide feedback to a subject matter expert on a 1 pager of learning content.

Context:
They developed a mindfulness practice activity in a word document with 1 image.

What took 1 hour:

• Reviewed content to understand what the resource is about
  • Reviewed content metadata for accuracy and completeness so it can be added to an OER repository (metadata form was provided to the content creator, so this was already well-structured)
  • Checked for copyright issues and made sure that image(s) used had open licensing permissions
  • Assessed accessibility issues (as metadata includes accessibility compliance questions); added alt-text, checked that heading structure is correct…
  • Added selected licensing information directly to the resource to ensure future traceability
  • Shared changes/updates with the content creator and ask for their feedback/ok in an organized email

Additional invisible work outside of and prior to the 1 hour:

• Shared metadata form
  • Answered questions about metadata
  • Provided guidance and recommendations around creative commons licensing
  • Shared best practices around what makes content easy to reuse (modularity…)
  • Provided resources on how to find images that are free to use

Perhaps this can be helpful to someone estimating the workload it takes to support OER creation.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this, Ksenia. I’d be interested in hearing from others as well.

It sounds like there is an established process and clear design specs (e.g. the use of a meta data form). Being able to turn around an OER in an hour is impressive.

Much of my works is supporting faculty who are doing their own building. For a current project using H5P in Pressbooks, our teams are eager to do the right thing with metadata, but we run into issues as the metadata forms have limited options for licenses. So while we know that reuse of images from Pixabay, Unsplash, Pexels is perfectly fine, we have to work through ways to provide clear licensing details when the software does not (fortunately some of the metadata forms have a notes field).

Thanks for sharing this Alan. I must admit, I haven’t thought about the issue of the licensing requirements related to Pixabay, etc… as you are right, these allow for free use, but with the caveat of not recreating the same service… I am assuming that for now this issue can be overcome by the following statement for each work: “CC by, unless otherwise noted” for example.

Specifically, for the platform I am working on, which is not live yet, the licensing options will be as follows for now, but will be adapted as needed later:

I am aware that there are many TK lables and licenses, but for now am not including the exhaustive list, I want to see how much interest there will be in these licenses before creating a more comprehensive controlled vocabulary.

Like you, I would like to hear more about the amount of time and resources that those advising faculty or working with them are investing into OER development or adaptation.

I will post to SPARC Libraries & OER Forum to see if this might get more traction there.

Ksenia

1 Like

Are you formalizing this workflow, @Ksenia_C? If so, that in itself could become one of those useful “job aids” the Canada School of Public Service is known for.
In fact, it could become part of a “playbook”, and shared in the open.

Sure, it’s a bit meta. And that’s alright!