Parking Here : The H5P Food Truck

How to pick only 3! So many good examples out there, here are the ones I’ve seen that made me say wow:

1. Image Hotspot - Coronavirus Replication Cycle by Zakia Dahi. This activity made me think that H5P can be used fairly effectively for non-formal education, like educating the general public about public health and safety.

2. Branching Scenario - Oxygenation Scenario by OpenRN. These are a number of high-quality simulations for health/medical professionals. These sort of simulations would have taken 2-3 developers and designers before H5P, and it really demonstrates the amazing stuff you can do with this tech with less resources. Collections of these activity are on LibreStudio.

3. Documentation Tool - ADPIE Analysis by Siobhan Bell. My personal favourite content type. Very easy to provide scaffolded learning for students.

Many, many great examples already on this thread. I’m working on gather some data on “the most commonly used content types” from Learnful, H5P Studio, and LibreStudio - hoping to share that info soon as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

The image snapshot activity is pretty rad! Would be a great content type. There are so many good examples of early interactive JS that might be well revived in H5P, and even some new tech that might fit well with H5P. The following come to mind:

I’m currently working on a simple content type that integrates DataCamp Light. It will hopefully be useful in computational learning.

I made an H5P response generator tool (CC BY-NC) for my OER writing text How Arguments Work: A Guide to Writing and Analyzing Texts in College. In a series of slides, it prompts students with questions about a text they are analyzing and then combines all their answers into a text output file that they can save and use as a brainstorm.

Now you got me thinking I need to add to my food truck wish list is to learn how to develop custom content types, so I am in the docs now.

The image snapshot thing was a Mozilla Thimble project that I moved to glitch.com when Mozilla nuked their tools. I was experimenting today with maybe trying to bring glitch content in via the iframe embedder… but it might be better I see now to maybe learn to DIY it.

What a great list! I vaguely remember bookmarking OdysseyJS, but TogetherJS was a real mind blower.

More stuff to load on the truck, thanks Yasin.

Thanks for that one, Anna, I am a major fan of the Documentation tool as one of the few/only that can produce savable content. I wish there were move

Looking at yours I can see a desire more types of form inputs than text areas!

Some great ideas here! Thanks everyone for sharing.

I teach Spanish and there’s a site called profedele.es, they do the best use of H5P I’ve seen, althought their content is not reusable. Here’s an example to learn vocabulary for the weather in Spanish: Vocabulario del clima y tiempo atmosférico - ProfeDeELE

I wanted to ask, @cogdog: Have you seen a way of doing a sort of “safe” where you need to enter the correct passcode to see a certain content? Like this from this Genial.ly: caja fuerte by MONTSERRAT HEVIA VALLE on Genially.

I thought about a Course Presentation where one slide is the safe and the next is the secret content, but I don’t think it’s possible to allow to see the next slide only if a certain content type (like fill in the blank in this case) is correct.

Maybe someone has some ideas on how to implement it.

Hola Alejandro, thanks for the Spanish language examples, the lack of a reuse option is not an issue, just seeing this variety is valuable.

I cannot see as easy way of creating some kind of pass code entry to reveal more content. That’s not to say it’s impossible but I think it require some custom code development.

Perhaps more of a description of what you are trying to place behind a pass code

My idea is to have 4 activities, each of which provide you with a number if you answer them correctly.

Then, you could use those for numbers to “open a safe” to give you access to an extra video, or maybe some extra activity. Haven’t decided what to show yet, but most likely a video.

My first thought for doing it within the current content types is to consider setting it up within a Branching Scenario. This could offer the activities within as an H5P interaction, or externally through a link. I can see a means then to offer a series of branch options that would require knowing the 4 codes to get inside the safe.

I worked in a project built as a branching scenario where i needed to generate random results (not built in to the tool) which I achieved but introducing a 2 step series of prompts that mathematically generated the same result, overly explained here An H5P Branching Scenario That Might Break the Boat – CogDogBlog

It might also be able to be done within the Course presentation tool, which many people think is more like a slide deck. This one offers more types of activities you can include, and can be setup to have link options that go to any slide. The “safe” option too could be offered maybe via an external web site linked from the final summary.

Thanks for the ideas!

Branching Scenario could be a good solution. But the only input available seems to be a single choice question, right? This will make it so I need 4 screens where each shows numbers from 1 to 10.

Ideally I could have some fill in the blank where they could input the numbers.

Regarding Course presentation, I think I could only direct to a certain slide through clicks on a certain anchor? Not through the completion of an activity?

Both are good options because they allow me to put a video in the end screen, but the process of inputing the numbers is not very elegant (at least from what I can think of). I would probably be better off doing it in Genial.ly for now!

I really appreciate the suggestions, and your Branching Scenario project is amazing, congrats on that!

Thanks to so many people here who responded to the call for favorite H5P dishes, I hope I did not miss any. Thanks @otacke @sushumna @lucytallents @jrdingwall @kylemackie @Enkerli @PerrineCoet @clintlalonde @greeneterry @yasin.dahi @annarmills

This was used earlier this week for a two part online session at the the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s Digital Learning Summit. First up, where I offered these as a “buffet” within a branching scenario tasting Tour of H5P

Of course you can never cover enough in an hour, it was meant to be something that anyone (meaning that in the broadest open sense) could return to.

There were 90 participants most of whom were new to H5P. I found excitement from the chat message activity, and note the large hurdle as always is taking the excitement for what is possible and dealing with the ‘where I publish this so I can use it’ question.

I tried to make the case of H5P being maybe one of the ultimate examples of OER in that what you create is very transpottable (because of it being self contained web standard content), but also the built in capabilities for reuse metadata, and that one can download source content (if enabled) and easily remix.

It is these factors that enable the range of H5P content types that are simple interactions, to more complex ones that demonstrate what I called “H5P Inception”-- My quote/unquote presentation as an H5P branching scenario, includes inside of of the Course Presentation type which itself can include bits that are H5P Interactive video and Drag Words.

But this structure of H5P also allows for the creation of sharing of custom content types that go beyond the 50+ offered ones, like the image exploration example shared by JR Dingwall and Two content types I found via Oliver Tacke. The power here is you can get the same functionality by downloading the .h5p, bringing into any H5P authoring space, and then changing/modifying with your own content.

The second session was pitched as hands on workshop that I covered maybe 20% of all I prepared, but again was was meant as a Taste and Come Back to on your Own Time:

This was designed in my usual approach to H5P (DO NOT START WITH THE TOOLs) but first providing suggestions of ways to find examples as a taste either from the opening taste tour or from the expanded set of places to find good H5P – “Studios” (because there are more than one) and H5P enabled OER Directories (ditto).

For the hands on parts, I suggested using the Lumi desktop editor and opening in it a .h5p they had found in the above mentioned places. People seemed really excited about using Lumi (yay), but as usual, things get messier when it came time to suggest places to publish h5p to try seeing how it can travel/embed elsewhere. Despite the warnings, I think h5p.org is still viable to at least play to see how it works.

I had planned to make available a new demo version of OER Studio that has been developed by Learnful (thanks Yason for setting this up). We really did not get this far, but if you want to create a test account using the special code on account setup KitchenDemo.

This is where newbies ge caught up, because rather than exploring the creative end and the making of interactive content, they are already jumping to how to they use it. I understand this, but it tends to derail the flow to explain why this a bit more limited.

Anyhow, I had a great time putting this together and opening up the H5P kitchen to the state of texas (and beyond)

2 Likes

Well yes, if you try to scope everything inside the branching scenario. How about if you create that or use Course Presentation as the place for the activities, where the results provide a code for each one.

Then you follow it with a second H5P, a fill in the blanks, where the correct codes must be entered and the access only provided on a 100% score. Here try it out

2 Likes

Try a few numbers in each blank and see what happens…

Then enter

54 9 21 37

Oh! Pretty cool! That’s a great implementation.

How did you add that dialog box to confirm if they want to enter the code? Is that feature available by default in Fill in the blanks?

No it’s not the default, but it’s something available for all H5P Content types that almost no one uses.

(1) While editing open the toggle under Behavioural Settings

Here I have unchecked the boxes for the Retry and Show solution buttons to make them unavailable.

I then check the box for the “show confirmation on check” which enables dialog box.

Then to customize the confirmation box, open the toggle for Text overrides and translations and in there open another toggle for Fill in the Blanks where you will find a section for “Check Confirmation” - here you can change everything, the header, the text, and the button name:

Also, these are the range feedback options I use to require a perfect score:

I could have created other ranges to provide difference feedback for 3 correct, 2 correct, 1 correct.

There is so much here to the H5P tools that most authors never use!

1 Like

I’ve created hundreds of H5P activities and never thought about that box! Thank you very much, you’re a H5P ninja.

1 Like

hah, to be honest I never used it before, but noticed it while setting this up to remove the retry/solution buttons. Being able to rename the interface elements like H5P allows is not something you see in other tools.

Almost surprised that you gave us gold instead of rickrolling us. :wink:
And the fact that you created a short URL demonstrates dedication, for a quick demo.
Now, I wonder if this can work as activity completion in Moodle, instead of providing a link.
And, of course, since you provided access to the .h5p file itself, we can open it to find the code:

Dial the safe to *54* *9* *21* *37*

Typically, we encourage people to use H5P for formative instead of summative evaluation. This might be a case where people get to wonder about the slightly finer details of security.

Thanks a whole lot for this summary. Coming back from vacations for a week of quiet work, I welcome this opportunity to dive back into H5P. Those NDLA content types sent me in a (shallow) rabbithole.
In fact, the “prioritize H5P characteristics” idea gets me to think about proper ways to frame discussion of why (we/I) should care about H5P, with a strong OE(P/R) bias. As you say, @cogdog, portability is key. “Interoperability” is related and also important.
Which then leads us to this whole discussion of authoring & hosting. In our experience, Lumi does reassure people. (@yasin.dahi just alerted me to LogiQuiz, which might be an alternative to Lumi. Where things get a bit trickier is about collaboration. And, yes, hosting. Along with search engines.
Doesn’t it sound like a common refrain in the OER world? “Why can’t we have one spot to find, access, download, adopt, adapt, upload, host, index, describe, co-create, and integrate all of those neat resources?”

Which also gets me to wonder about how H5P will fit in my 2022–23 activities. The hosting issue leads to particularly loud discussions and it doesn’t sound like we’re getting that close to a solution which will satisfy everyone. Because, politics.
Technically, OER Studio might work well for a lot of people, especially once it’s available in target languages, including French. And Learnful is involved in neat initiatives. At the same time, some parts might be missing. We could identify those through “engagement with diverse stakeholders”. Yes, committees and User Testing could help, there. The missing piece probably has more to do with building a full Community of Practice.

WIth librarians, the heroines and heroes of the Information Age!
(As a disclaimer: I’m currently getting closer to librarianship through my personal life. Yet I’ve been praising librarians for years.)

At any rate… Your approach to raising awareness about H5P already does a lot to get people enthusiastic about OE.

Good job, Alan!

Well I wished there was an ability to include a hyperlink in the feedback but it’s just plain text.

And good point about the availability of the answers in the download, I enabled this to show the proof of concept, in a production environment I would not enable. Still I question how many really would figure this out!

Also not sure if the safe codes are available from view source.

It was more meant to demonstrate making H5P do what is called for even if it is not a feature.

Thanks for cracking the safe open

1 Like