Parking Here : The H5P Food Truck

Thanks to so many people here who responded to the call for favorite H5P dishes, I hope I did not miss any. Thanks @otacke @sushumna @lucytallents @jrdingwall @kylemackie @Enkerli @PerrineCoet @clintlalonde @greeneterry @yasin.dahi @annarmills

This was used earlier this week for a two part online session at the the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s Digital Learning Summit. First up, where I offered these as a “buffet” within a branching scenario tasting Tour of H5P

Of course you can never cover enough in an hour, it was meant to be something that anyone (meaning that in the broadest open sense) could return to.

There were 90 participants most of whom were new to H5P. I found excitement from the chat message activity, and note the large hurdle as always is taking the excitement for what is possible and dealing with the ‘where I publish this so I can use it’ question.

I tried to make the case of H5P being maybe one of the ultimate examples of OER in that what you create is very transpottable (because of it being self contained web standard content), but also the built in capabilities for reuse metadata, and that one can download source content (if enabled) and easily remix.

It is these factors that enable the range of H5P content types that are simple interactions, to more complex ones that demonstrate what I called “H5P Inception”-- My quote/unquote presentation as an H5P branching scenario, includes inside of of the Course Presentation type which itself can include bits that are H5P Interactive video and Drag Words.

But this structure of H5P also allows for the creation of sharing of custom content types that go beyond the 50+ offered ones, like the image exploration example shared by JR Dingwall and Two content types I found via Oliver Tacke. The power here is you can get the same functionality by downloading the .h5p, bringing into any H5P authoring space, and then changing/modifying with your own content.

The second session was pitched as hands on workshop that I covered maybe 20% of all I prepared, but again was was meant as a Taste and Come Back to on your Own Time:

This was designed in my usual approach to H5P (DO NOT START WITH THE TOOLs) but first providing suggestions of ways to find examples as a taste either from the opening taste tour or from the expanded set of places to find good H5P – “Studios” (because there are more than one) and H5P enabled OER Directories (ditto).

For the hands on parts, I suggested using the Lumi desktop editor and opening in it a .h5p they had found in the above mentioned places. People seemed really excited about using Lumi (yay), but as usual, things get messier when it came time to suggest places to publish h5p to try seeing how it can travel/embed elsewhere. Despite the warnings, I think h5p.org is still viable to at least play to see how it works.

I had planned to make available a new demo version of OER Studio that has been developed by Learnful (thanks Yason for setting this up). We really did not get this far, but if you want to create a test account using the special code on account setup KitchenDemo.

This is where newbies ge caught up, because rather than exploring the creative end and the making of interactive content, they are already jumping to how to they use it. I understand this, but it tends to derail the flow to explain why this a bit more limited.

Anyhow, I had a great time putting this together and opening up the H5P kitchen to the state of texas (and beyond)

2 Likes

Well yes, if you try to scope everything inside the branching scenario. How about if you create that or use Course Presentation as the place for the activities, where the results provide a code for each one.

Then you follow it with a second H5P, a fill in the blanks, where the correct codes must be entered and the access only provided on a 100% score. Here try it out

2 Likes

Try a few numbers in each blank and see what happens…

Then enter

54 9 21 37

Oh! Pretty cool! That’s a great implementation.

How did you add that dialog box to confirm if they want to enter the code? Is that feature available by default in Fill in the blanks?

No it’s not the default, but it’s something available for all H5P Content types that almost no one uses.

(1) While editing open the toggle under Behavioural Settings

Here I have unchecked the boxes for the Retry and Show solution buttons to make them unavailable.

I then check the box for the “show confirmation on check” which enables dialog box.

Then to customize the confirmation box, open the toggle for Text overrides and translations and in there open another toggle for Fill in the Blanks where you will find a section for “Check Confirmation” - here you can change everything, the header, the text, and the button name:

Also, these are the range feedback options I use to require a perfect score:

I could have created other ranges to provide difference feedback for 3 correct, 2 correct, 1 correct.

There is so much here to the H5P tools that most authors never use!

1 Like

I’ve created hundreds of H5P activities and never thought about that box! Thank you very much, you’re a H5P ninja.

1 Like

hah, to be honest I never used it before, but noticed it while setting this up to remove the retry/solution buttons. Being able to rename the interface elements like H5P allows is not something you see in other tools.

Almost surprised that you gave us gold instead of rickrolling us. :wink:
And the fact that you created a short URL demonstrates dedication, for a quick demo.
Now, I wonder if this can work as activity completion in Moodle, instead of providing a link.
And, of course, since you provided access to the .h5p file itself, we can open it to find the code:

Dial the safe to *54* *9* *21* *37*

Typically, we encourage people to use H5P for formative instead of summative evaluation. This might be a case where people get to wonder about the slightly finer details of security.

Thanks a whole lot for this summary. Coming back from vacations for a week of quiet work, I welcome this opportunity to dive back into H5P. Those NDLA content types sent me in a (shallow) rabbithole.
In fact, the “prioritize H5P characteristics” idea gets me to think about proper ways to frame discussion of why (we/I) should care about H5P, with a strong OE(P/R) bias. As you say, @cogdog, portability is key. “Interoperability” is related and also important.
Which then leads us to this whole discussion of authoring & hosting. In our experience, Lumi does reassure people. (@yasin.dahi just alerted me to LogiQuiz, which might be an alternative to Lumi. Where things get a bit trickier is about collaboration. And, yes, hosting. Along with search engines.
Doesn’t it sound like a common refrain in the OER world? “Why can’t we have one spot to find, access, download, adopt, adapt, upload, host, index, describe, co-create, and integrate all of those neat resources?”

Which also gets me to wonder about how H5P will fit in my 2022–23 activities. The hosting issue leads to particularly loud discussions and it doesn’t sound like we’re getting that close to a solution which will satisfy everyone. Because, politics.
Technically, OER Studio might work well for a lot of people, especially once it’s available in target languages, including French. And Learnful is involved in neat initiatives. At the same time, some parts might be missing. We could identify those through “engagement with diverse stakeholders”. Yes, committees and User Testing could help, there. The missing piece probably has more to do with building a full Community of Practice.

WIth librarians, the heroines and heroes of the Information Age!
(As a disclaimer: I’m currently getting closer to librarianship through my personal life. Yet I’ve been praising librarians for years.)

At any rate… Your approach to raising awareness about H5P already does a lot to get people enthusiastic about OE.

Good job, Alan!

Well I wished there was an ability to include a hyperlink in the feedback but it’s just plain text.

And good point about the availability of the answers in the download, I enabled this to show the proof of concept, in a production environment I would not enable. Still I question how many really would figure this out!

Also not sure if the safe codes are available from view source.

It was more meant to demonstrate making H5P do what is called for even if it is not a feature.

Thanks for cracking the safe open

1 Like

Thanks Alex, I hope H5P stays on your list.

I for one, just me, and not wrapped up in trying for the One Solution to Do Everything. H5P’s characteristics (portability, no platform dependence) means you can author from many places.

Yes,the hosting part is a different “kettle of fish” but I see that becoming a roadblock before people even learn to build interesting content. It does not take much to hoist a WordPress/drupal site to merely house content, and I am hopeful for a spread of more studios (Yasin as said that the parts for federated search are in there).

Even now, you can make use of for free the service he provides at http://learnful.ca

WHAT IF IT GOES AWAY? Always as always, when doing this stuff, one should archive their own source material. If you have your .h5p files they can go anywhere. If an org really wants to have more durable hosting, wel step up at pay for it at h5p.com or set up an infrastructure.

I’d rather work towards making interesting stuff then waiting for a Big Solution platform, aka small pieces loosely joined approach.

1 Like

Useful reminders about “big solutions”.
And the 5th ‘R’ (“Retain”). It’s sometimes useful to remind people that .h5p files are renamed .zip archives containing source code which has some archiving potential.

Like you, I’m wary of making H5P into a Golden Hammer. Which is why I try to think of where the technology fits in a broader system. For instance…

• A rapid prototyping tool
  • A co-creation playground
  • A replacement for Flash-based content
  • An alternative to SCORM packages
  • A way to help people develop skills on metadata and licenses
  • A gateway into OERs
  • A shift away from static content
  • Granular content within textbooks
  • A complement to LMS activities
  • Adaptable modules in a repository

The last three relate directly to platforms and decisions about these are quite important for my own work. There are several options for each. Some people perceive a need to focus on one. Without waiting for the ideal platform, I do need to figure out what the medium-term solution could be, in context.

As always, thanks for the inspiration! Since many people are on vacations, it’s particularly useful to keep the gears moving.

I’ve always leaned a bit more interested in the granular end of OERs that become the raw material for large bits of content an fodder for remix (hence photos) and h5P is right there. I love showing the trick of changing the extension of a .h5p file to .zip and peeking inside, here done in an Agamotto to show from editing to files

I might add to your list too a consideration of remix, less from a content creation standpoint, where the focus is on making content FOR learners but where the remix is part of the activity. I’ve come across a maybe a scant few spaces where students not only use H5P but also create them.

I am thinking of this Short History of OER timeline you shared elsewhere, but what if the activity is less clicking around on a timeline to see stuff, but having it as a starter to something which others add on to? Or a project where students pass around an H5P to collaborate on? (introducing some ideas/challenges on versioning and forking).

1 Like

Yep! Forking was the core idea for my session on H5P with @romuramon, @PerrineCoet and the OEG Francophone group, from a year ago tomorrow.
RDV OEG Francophone - juillet 2021 | Direction d’Appui à la Pédagogie et à l’Innovation (livestorm.co)

Hi!

I’m back looking for inspiration! I want to do an activity like this:

Where you have three columns, and you need to connect the elements. They can be combined in different ways, so something like a fill in the blanks, drag and drop or drag the words probably won’t work well.

Anyone has an idea of how could I go about this?

Hi Alejandro, can you share more about the activity, e.g. how many connections can be considered correct? Which ones are wrong (why?). What kind of feedback is desired? I am struggling to understand all the specs from a screenshot.

Out of the H5P box, I don’t see exactly this type, and while some are able custom code new content types, I am not on that level yet.

My hunch would be drag the words, but perhaps with fewer than 10 options per column, and maybe more of a set of them that could provide multiple attempts.

The words from the columns can be combined in many ways, the ones that are wrong are more for semantic reasons.

In the end, the solution I found it to create a picture and add bellow an essay, where the correct combinations are keywords, and we show them in the sample solution.

This does not allow on feedback on wrong answers (explain why a sentence is wrong), but it’s good enough for now (it does provide feedback on how many correct combinations one was able to write).

Yes, that make sense as a close approximation. And as much as I try to focus on constructive feedback, I 'd argue there is value as well in providing substantial practice

May be you can use fill in the blanks option. And Ask the user to see the chart provided and type the connected strings in order.

It’s long since this question was asked, but thought of you when I saw @otacke share a new custom H5P type - an H5P combination lock! -