Parking Here : The H5P Food Truck

@cogdog Yes, Structure Strip only gives feedback about the relative proportions of the text’s sections because that is what the purpose of a structure strip is: helping to learn to keep the relative proportions right.

Okay, makes sense. I have not heard of this before. Maybe a possibility to track word or sentence count? Character count might be limiting?

I don’t see a problem with adding some counters, but it’s nothing that I have time for right now.

I have two to contribute that I hope people at the food truck enjoy:

Figure 13: Lymph Vessels of the Skin of Dogs - a custom H5P type that was created by my colleague Kristine Dreaver-Charles, and the development of the actual H5P code by the one and only otacke.

Creating Interactive Documents with Sliders in E-Learning #300 - from the blogwall, this is a demo I quite like using agamotto, which is an oft-overlooked content type I think.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks @cogdog !

Templates in Course Presentations - My goal here was to set up an “Accordion” – style interaction, mimicking similar types of expand and collapse tools.

Interactive Book as submenu - Working within the parameters of the Interactive Book, to create a sub-menu/slider interface.

Checklist with feedback - built as a column, with True/False and Multiple choice interactions…an attempt at providing some direction based on a survey-type activity.

UDL worksheet - I too have a crush on the Documentation tool. (cc: @bgray)

3 Likes

We can’t play favourites!

In fact, I wonder what Hanna Eide Solstad’s research would provide as insight to such a list.

Ok, I’ll share three H5P activities.

My first reflex was Mita’s “personality quiz” for research sources. Alan has already shared that.
So clever and useful. With a few questions, it orients someone. The model could work in many other contexts.

Another obvious one, shared by Alan last year: Stewart Lamb Cromar’s current vision simulation My sight loss journey – Stewart Lamb Cromar (@stubot). I found it effective as a way to quickly understand a phenomenon. In fact, the “perceiving the world through someone else’s sight issues” is a classic in design thinking.

The House Visit from TMU and friends is also too obvious, as it’s even the example Joubel uses for Branching Scenario.. What I found fascinating with this one is, again, the learning experience itself. That would have worked with the original version, of course.
Serious Game 2: Simulation Game (ryerson.ca)
It’s just that, if I remember correctly, the move to H5P made things much easier for the team.

So, what are three H5P resources that I can share?

Well, ok, here’s one which isn’t technically OER. (Isabelle Dostie, the author, doesn’t want others to modify it.) Yes, it’s in French.
Intervention auprès de Mme Tremblay | Share on H5P Hub (learnful.ca)
What struck me with this one is that it made for experiential learning, for me. I got the point. Deeply.
I also like the fact that this prof is whipping these out all the time, now. It’s not about production value. It’s about pedagogical value. Which is part of the reason we showcased her work on the French side of our site.
Épicer mes cours avec les scénarios à embranchements de H5P - Éductive (eductive.ca)
(I also showcased that work during my OEG-Francophone session about H5P and forking.)

A semi-obvious example, this “student textbook game” from KPU.
Preet – The Student Textbook Game (pressbooks.pub)
Again, it makes the point. In this case, about textbook costs.

As a last example, this quick and straightforward self-reflection on privilege:
Self Reflection: Privilege – In Their Moccasins (ryerson.ca)
(Again, from TMU, formerly known as University X.) Reminds me of the Invisible Knapsack, which has often been useful in my teaching. In fact, we could build a variety of H5P modules based on the “knapsack” model. In my experience, those associated with able-bodied privilege tend to be most effective as, despite disparities in physical abilities, learners tend to relate to those in similar ways, which makes the learning experience less othering.
I really enjoy the fact that it’s so simple. A question with multiple answers. Getting people to think. As learning pros, one of our superpowers is that we get people to think.

The food truck crew is extremely satisfied after their taste, thanks for the deliver, JR.

I can see the value of the zoom and explore tool, and I was able to easily download the .hp5, import into Lumi, and swap in my own image. I like seeing the various options for the zoom shape and sizing of the image. Is there something that dictates how much zoom happens or is that more tied to the resolution of the original image?

And of course more ideas! I remember working with some code long ago where you move around like that and take “snapshots” of the larger image, that would be neat to see I see @otacke ducking!)

More than, it’s helpful to know that there are these options for custom content types. I try to track a few of them, but it’s too bad there’s not some means of finding more of these.

And thanks to for the Agamotto example (I always say that name in my head with an over the top Italian accent) that is used in a meaningful way I had not seen before, to bring attention to details of a larger work. The sizing is a challenge, lots of up/down scrolling. It almost begs for the description part to show up on the right.

This is another example like the Vital Signs ones where it could be paired with some followup multiple choice, fill in the blank, drag image etc as an additional practice.

Most excellent dishes, chef JR!

1 Like

And thank for the feast, Kyle. I’ve recommended your templates often, and demonstrate the clever way to repurpose the slider into a useful interface.

Likewise for the Interactive Book, one of the types I have yet to tinker with. That makes for a very fluid interface.

But oh, my favorite is the checklist, I am now fan of these column stacked content to make two interactions work together. I can see a lot of ways to remix this approach.

Also, great thanks to Chef Kyle!

@cogdog The “zoom scales” are fixed (1, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 3, 5), but I wonder why someone left a comment on that line of code … Could it be that in theory one could easily add a text field to the editor that would take a string with values ('1, 1.25, 1.5, 2, 3, 5') and that could (after some sanitization probably) be used directly? Who knows …

It’s not supposed to stay a “hidden” content type, by the way: [HFP-3480] - H5P's Jira

No need to duck, but better ask next year … :slight_smile:

Merci beaucoup for this examples, Alex, especially for many ones done with the branching scenario. I first came across the Ryerson Serious Games when they were in H5P, so that was how they did a prototype?

These, and like I assume Mme Tremblay, grow effective with the videos so that we begin to forget maybe that we are looking at a screen. I don’t mind much that they are not shared if they can demonstrate an effective example.

I must admit I like approve of cooking metaphors in that Éductive post :wink:

I am familiar with the KPU student textbook game as I did the H5P, it helped much because the design was completely and beautifully done by students who designed the analog version of the game. It ended up growing very complex in H5P, so much that I only completed one of the four student experiences as a proof of concept-- and I had to come up with some clever ways of creating a random card draw, see https://cogdogblog.com/2020/09/h5p-branching-break-the-boat

Much appreciation for the Privilege example, ironic that just one of the choices makes for moderate amount of privilege (I might have changed the text on the “Show Solution” button, a nice feature of H5P that interface elements can be customized).

Thanks again for some tasty cuisine.

Hello people interested in H5P, do you know @mdiack and this questionnaire ? if already shared here, sorry and you can delete it :slight_smile:
Creating and Publishing Interactive Content as OER (google.com)
Have a nice

Didn’t know about the questionnaire or Moustapha’s wish to create a Community of Practice around H5P. Good to know!

Maybe that CoP already exists… :wink:

If memory serves, it was the opposite. They created the whole thing using custom tools and then reproduced it in H5P, which ended up being much easier. I should find that information. It might have been during the chat with Team Vital Signs, though it might have been an email exchange afterwards.

You do raise a good point, there, about prototyping. I really feel like much OE can happen through easy prototyping. And H5P does enable that kind of thing.

Especially with learners!
Which is what I should have underlined about the textbook game.
Designing things with learners is about more than the content or the result.
Which is part of what makes it hard for me to think of specific examples.

H5P is a way of life!

I do agree that the textbook game became too involved. Pacing is part of what made OpenGame Project (opengame-project.eu) useful. @PerrineCoet organized a talk with @Melanie_Pl, @cdlh, and @ArnaudGuevel about it.
RDV OEG Francophone - septembre 2021 - YouTube
That might be harder to build in H5P. Prototyping some version of it in H5P could help reveal how we might improve the flow/sequence. (I’m no game designer, so that’s probably not the right terminology. It does give me some ideas of things to do with friends and acquaintances in Montreal who are game designers, including some whose approach to learning meshes well with OE.)

Merci, Perrine! I have heard @mdiack present on the MERLOT, SkillsCommons, H5P effort but had not seen this call for interest to their upcoming offering and to create an H5P community.

I’m signed up and would be interested in speaking with Moustapha more about how OEGlobal can participate or help in some way.

I quite like the way that multiple H5P activities have been combined to create more in-depth interactive case studies in one of our BCcampus funded open homework projects, Vital Signs Across the Lifespan.

This example is titled Pediatric Case Study and combines multiple different H5P activities on a single page which allows context to be added around the H5P activities. It shows how multiple H5P elements can be used to support a larger piece of learning content. I also like the way they have used the image slider to show the changes in a medical chart.

I really like the use of the Branching Scenario as a “Take Out Menu” for a larger resource (The Liberated Learner). By going through the take out menu and answering a few questions you are directed to the part of the larger resource most pertinent to your needs: TAKE OUT MENU – Quick Search Guide – Liberated Learners

1 Like

Thanks for the take-out menu example, Terry.

There’s something to be said here how this, and other H5P types like Course Presentation, Accordion, even the Interactive Book in Kyle’s example can help “flatten” or "compress: what would be long content presented in a web page format, but also that it is not limited to one pathway through. But more, it is a bit of a progressive reveal, rather than all at once.

I always have opinions… and given my penchant for the cooking/kitchen metaphor, the Take Out menu is excellent. I don’t see it really as described within as a “search” tool, why not carry through the metaphor? Also I might have added an branch back option or used the new feature to enable a back button, so if after reviewing my take out items, I might want to branch back and see more.

Great to see the H5P spice in the Liberated Learners project (and you did not even mention it’s appearance in the Wicked Problems collection).

Much appreciated!

1 Like

How to pick only 3! So many good examples out there, here are the ones I’ve seen that made me say wow:

1. Image Hotspot - Coronavirus Replication Cycle by Zakia Dahi. This activity made me think that H5P can be used fairly effectively for non-formal education, like educating the general public about public health and safety.

2. Branching Scenario - Oxygenation Scenario by OpenRN. These are a number of high-quality simulations for health/medical professionals. These sort of simulations would have taken 2-3 developers and designers before H5P, and it really demonstrates the amazing stuff you can do with this tech with less resources. Collections of these activity are on LibreStudio.

3. Documentation Tool - ADPIE Analysis by Siobhan Bell. My personal favourite content type. Very easy to provide scaffolded learning for students.

Many, many great examples already on this thread. I’m working on gather some data on “the most commonly used content types” from Learnful, H5P Studio, and LibreStudio - hoping to share that info soon as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

The image snapshot activity is pretty rad! Would be a great content type. There are so many good examples of early interactive JS that might be well revived in H5P, and even some new tech that might fit well with H5P. The following come to mind:

I’m currently working on a simple content type that integrates DataCamp Light. It will hopefully be useful in computational learning.

I made an H5P response generator tool (CC BY-NC) for my OER writing text How Arguments Work: A Guide to Writing and Analyzing Texts in College. In a series of slides, it prompts students with questions about a text they are analyzing and then combines all their answers into a text output file that they can save and use as a brainstorm.