Reimagining Open at the Crossroads - What If?

Thanks @cogdog.

I acknowledge imagining “What if?” scenarios can be hard. But we do have some good songs posted in Activity 1 that provide the necessary theme music. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m totally on board with your What if?, imagining open education focused less on making a case for itself and more on doing. And it very much relates to my what if? scenario imagining open education as a culturally embedded norm. I had a good look through the padlet responses to "What is your big dream for the future of Open Education in Texas”. I’d say most of those responses are also seeking to see open education become a normal expected practice.

So let me try out the second part to this activity by responding to your “What if?” with a “Then”.

“What if open education was something most had experienced so we did not have to spend as much time up front explaining or making a case for, and we just proceeded doing?”

Then,

• the values that underpin open education are norms
  • open competencies associated with open practice are commonplace
  • the practice of open education has become widespread with majority participation
  • open education is pervasive with saturation across an institution and beyond, into society as a whole
  • the doing results in growth, collaboration, and radical collaboration between institutions
  • the social good, knowledge equity, and democratization of power inherent in open education contribute to making education more socially relevant

Hmmm, I’m starting to like this future.

What other “then” statements could be added?
Other “What if?” imagined scenarios are also welcome.