Resources for Open Educational Practices

What other resources might you share to connect social justice in your work with open educational practices?

Make this a conversation by replying below. Then explore/engage more with the other Summer Conversation questions

1 Like

We have been working on OEP for many years now. Please see this portal from MERLOT/SkillsCommons commons. We have curated many resources - Open Educational Practices: Sharing Through ePortfolios

I really like the The Open Pedagogy Project Roadmap, a guide for instructors and staff who want to develop open pedagogical practices with their students. This roadmap was developed Christina Riehman-Murphy and Bryan McGeary as part of their capstone for the SPARC Open Educational Leadership Fellows program. It is structured into 4 thoughtful stages for those new to open pedagogy projects and includes a glossary and case studies:

Scoping your project (values/goals, capacity)
Getting support (systemic, logistical, technological)
Student Outcomes and Agency
Sustainability and Sharing

The student outcomes and agency module has some wonderful resources to guide this work including the Student Collaborators’ Bill of Right’s from UCLA.

1 Like

Many wonderful examples of courses redesigned by faculty to be more interactive, equitable, and open. Thank @mdiack for sharing!

We collected a heap of OEP resources during last year’s CCCOER Open Pedagogy Summer Adventure.

For zeroing in on social justice, I thought I remembered an open textbook somewhere where students had written chapters reviewing key papers. But I could not locate it. So I tried a search on Pressbooks Directory and found that CUNY’s Evaluating OER for Social Justice looks very relevant.

The authors have expanded a typical OER evaluation rubric to include criteria for addressing social justice and equity, see the Social Justice Focused OER Evaluation Rubric, e.g.

Recognizes key contributors from a variety of backgrounds and cites papers and data from diverse authors, researchers, and organizations.

Real-world examples and images represent diverse perspectives and consider the intersectionality and context of the depiction (e.g. use preferences of the subject, avoid perpetuating a stereotype, are all populations equally “active” in the material, do the context or setting images/examples indicate anything negative, etc.).

and several more.

I’m anxious to take a closer look at these resources! Thank you, @mdiack !

I think it was just last year that we were looking for a rubric that included social justice! Thank you! The examples of reviewed chapters is great! Thanks, @cogdog !