Tagged for OEG Connect: Aaron Tay's Musings about librarianship : List of academic search engines that use Large Language models for generative answers and some factors to consider when using

What’s of interest? Aaron Tay’s Musings about librarianship : List of academic search engines that use Large Language models for generative answers and some factors to consider when using

Tell me more!

This is a non-comprehensive list of academic search engines that use generative AI (almost always Large language models) to generate direct answers on top of list of relevant results, typically using Retrieval Augmented Generation (RAG) Techniques. We expect a lot more!

This technique involves grounding the generated answer by using a retriever to find text chunks or sentences (also known as context) that may answer the question.

Besides generating direct answers with citations, it seems to me this new class of search engine often but not always

a) Use Semantic Search (as opposed to Lexical search)

b) Use the ability of Large Language Models to extract information from papers such as “method”, “limitations”, “region” and display them in a literature review matrix format

Where is it?: Aaron Tay's Musings about librarianship : List of academic search engines that use Large Language models for generative answers and some factors to consider when using

This is one among many items I will regularly tag in Pinboard as oegconnect, and automatically post tagged as #OEGConnect to Mastodon. Do you know of something else we should share like this? Just reply below and we will check it out.

1 Like