Tagged for OEG Connect: Check, Please! Starter Course

What’s of interest? Check, Please! Starter Course

Tell me more!

This course will take you through the basics of quick source and claim-checking, and introduce you to our “four moves”, a series of actions to take when encountering claims and sources on the web. This is the SIFT Model- Stop, Investigate the source, Find better coverage, and Trace claims, quotes, and media to the original source.

In this course, we show you how to fact and source-check in five easy lessons, taking about 30 minutes apiece. The entire online curriculum is two and a half to three hours and is suitable homework for the first week of a college-level module on disinformation or online information literacy, or the first few weeks of a course if assigned with other discipline-focused homework.

Once students have completed the starter course they can move on to any number of additional topical modules we will be rolling out. The topical modules go into more depth on skills, and explore specific social issues around information pollution.

This course is built so that it can easily copied and modified by teachers wishing to customize it. The text and media of this site, where possible, is released into the CC BY, and free for reuse and revision.

Where is it?: Notion – The all-in-one workspace for your notes, tasks, wikis, and databases.

This is one among many items I will regularly tag in Pinboard as oegconnect, and automatically post tagged as #OEGConnect to Mastodon. Do you know of something else we should share like this? Just reply below and we will check it out.

2 Likes

SIFT is a lovely heaurustic. Found it very useful with my mliteracy work…The examples Mike gives are contextual. But the practice of preparing yourself for problematic information beforehand. And then applying four sourcework skills, summarized under SIFT, is helpful.

1 Like