Tagged for OEG Connect: Mickey, Disney, and the Public Domain: a 95-year Love Triangle | Duke University School of Law

What’s of interest? Mickey, Disney, and the Public Domain: a 95-year Love Triangle | Duke University School of Law

Tell me more!

On January 1, 2024, after almost a century of copyright protection, Mickey Mouse, or at least a version of Mickey Mouse, will enter the public domain. The first movies in which the iconic mouse appeared – Steamboat Willie and the silent version of Plane Crazy­[1] – were made in 1928 and works from that year go into the public domain in the United States on New Year’s Day 2024.[2]

The public domain has had some famous recent arrivals, but this is the most anticipated entry yet. Why? It is not simply that Mickey is a famous copyrighted character. So are Sherlock Holmes and Winnie the Pooh, and while they entered the public domain with some fanfare, it paled in comparison to this event. I’d like to offer a tentative answer. The reason that this event gathers so much attention is that it is the story of a 95-year-old love triangle, a tangled drama that rivals any Disney movie for twists and turns. The protagonists are Mickey, Disney and the Public Domain, and their relationship positively exemplifies the social media weasel-words “it’s complicated.”

Where is it?: Mickey, Disney, and the Public Domain: a 95-year Love Triangle | Duke University School of Law

This is one among many items I will regularly tag in Pinboard as oegconnect, and automatically post tagged as #OEGConnect to Mastodon. Do you know of something else we should share like this? Just reply below and we will check it out.

Don’t forget Hollywood’s toy boy Congressman Sonny Bono and his Copyright Term Extension Act, also known as the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.

I checked in with Mickey a dozen years ago about this naming…

Imgur

and he sang me a song:

… Senate keeps adding
Years to lock in copyright
La de da de de, la de da de da

… Senate keeps adding

… Senate keeps adding

… And the extensions go on