Tagged for OEG Connect: Picture Books in 1001 Languages

What’s of interest? Picture Books in 1001 Languages

Tell me more!

We want children to find books in their own language.

For an incredible number of children in the world, their first contact with the wonderful thing called “book” is in a foreign language: children who had to flee a country, children in indigenous language communities, children with a migration background.

This way, reading aloud, which for others creates a sense of security and emotional closeness, is often a situation of uncertainty and strangeness. The barrier to education becomes very high.

We want children to find their voice.

Adults listen far too rarely to what children have to say. But half of stories is about listening.

That’s why children can find their voice at “1001 Languages at bilingual-picturebooks.org”. They publish their own stories - be it a philosophy book, a fairy tale or a story about a chicken that takes a bus to the moon.

Over 200 volunteers then translate these stories into countless languages.

Families, kindergartens, schools and initiatives can download them free of charge. And in exactly the language combination they need.

Where is it?: https://www.bilingual-picturebooks.org/

This is one among many items I will regularly tag in Pinboard as oegconnect, and automatically post tagged as #OEGConnect to Mastodon. Do you know of something else we should share like this? Just reply below and we will check it out.

1 Like

What an amazing resource! Are there any promo things we can print out about this? If not, I think I will go ahead and make some “bookmarks” that I can print out and provide to patrons (I am at a public librarian with an especially high circulation of kids books). This is just super cool. Can’t wait to see all the other resources people are sharing!

Very nice, would love to explore and will try to volunteer, and I think this one is similar to Storyweaver :slight_smile:

I can see this being of interest at your library. I do not know much more, these are just things I see and quickly share here hoping they might be of interest and absolutely see Storyweaver as recommended by @sushumna

I have already had several patrons asking about children’s books in both Spanish and Arabic. And I actually had about an hour sit-down with a teacher to discuss OERs as well, and shared Openstax textbooks with another who was super excited about them (and we have only been open to the public since the beginning of February)! There is just such an appetite for these resources, but it is so challenging connecting the people who need them. I am full-time at a public library, part-time at a community college - but both places seem to have patrons whom are excited but new to the very idea of OERs. I was wondering if there was a “top ten” type list of resources for beginners… I know I tend to start with Openstax, and then branch out to things like hypothesis.is and open pedagogy approaches like editing Wikipedia… If there isn’t a top “intro to OE” resources for both highschool and college students, maybe this year’s OEweek can help with putting that together. I have been wanting to do a sort of print out (probably using QR codes and canva) to passively make information available to the patrons at both libraries, since I think having a physical item helps with initial outreach, but I hope this week to hear more about other efforts that span both academic and public libraries.

Definitely suggest Storyweaver as a stop, see over 450 children’s stories in Arabic and 1150 in Spanish.

I’m not sure how you would identify a “top” getting OER started guide, almost every university library seems to have an OER libguide, it can feel like looking at the stars in the sky. A very solid suggestion is always the OER Starter Kit and the remix that includes a collection of worksheets to use for practicing skills.

I sense though, Robin, that your ask is along the lines of a quick printable reference, and one aimed at public libraries. I think that is very worthwhile, but my 2 cents are not as a librarian.

If you wanted to spin that out as a activity/request for Open Education week, I’d suggest starting it as a new topic in the DO OE Week topic area with some specific details on what you’d like to see in it (audience, length, topics?)

Thank you for the suggestion, you are definitely understanding the type of thing I am looking for. I went ahead and posted a topic, hopefully I did it correctly. :slight_smile:

Robin, “correctly” is in my book is just posting any new question, no grades here. I do things wrong frequently :wink:

For reference and as a good model of posing a question, see

1 Like