The Sun Sets on 2023 and Rises on 2024 Here at OEG Connect

In my head I am writing this message on the last day of December, but… holidays happened! My grand ambitions of doing so much writing went poof. But I hope every one here enjoyed as peaceful and hopeful as possible transition into 2024 (a seemingly tall order these days).

The end of one glorious sunset can be followed by an even more stunning sunrise. This is a late December view of a colorful sunset from my home perch outside of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, a place I am fortunate to tend now as a home that is Treaty 4 traditional lands that were home first to original lands of the Cree, Saulteaux, Dakota, Nakoda and Lakota people and the homeland of Métis Nation.

Imgur
The End of One Thing is But the Start of Another flickr photo by cogdogblog shared into the public domain using Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0)

What does your sunrise/sunset look like where you are? If possible, please share a photo. And also let us know what your hopes and goals are for your open education efforts in 2024.

I’m very appreciative of the ongoing conversations that happen here in OEG Connect. I note that more than 1700 people have created accounts here, and we see new accounts made on a regular basis.

OEG Connect is a bit of a complicated place, it’s not necessarily neatly organized, but then again, the idea of the Discourse software we use here is that it is a site not driven by rigid web code, but flows with the interests and activities of people who come here.

I do have some plans/wild ideas for new activities to try out here. We hope that many people feel free/open to ask questions in this main space, OEGlobal Plaza. We’d really like to see more people do some self introductions.

It’s been welcome to see more use of the OE Events area for sharing conferences, webinars, and other open education activities you are offering (or participating in).

For the first part of this year, we’d like to encourage keeping an eye on the Open Education Week area – you will see likely there before anywhere else the latest and newest information about this year’s Open Education Week, taking place March 4-8, 2024 (cough cough hint hint, that’s where my next message is going).

OEWeek is exciting for us because it is a distributed event, OEGlobal does nor organize it, but the gllobal community of open educators does. Many of you might be planning already some activities to host that week, but if this is not on your radar, please consider what kind of workshop, presentation, panel discussion, hackathon, webinar you might plan for your own organization/institution.

Now I am tempted to write more, but will suggest going to the Open Education Week area in Connect to learn what is going to happening in the next 2 months leading up to OEWeek.

Beyond that, we are very O-P-E-N to any ideas to make use of this space. We understand fully the fractionation and spread of numerous online spaces for open educators to go-- there never was, nor will be “one space to do them all” but hope at least here we can generate some productive synergy and sharing… and sharing of sunrise/sunset photos, and heck, maybe even cat photos.

Imgur
2023/265/106 I Izz Sweet flickr photo by cogdogblog shared into the public domain using Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0)

Yikes! Even CogDog does CatPhotos.

1 Like

Sunrise from the other day. I’ll think about hopes and goals when I recover from travelling.

2 Likes

(in a best Wizard of Oz voice)… Paul, you’re not in upstate New York anymore.

Very tropical… Hawaii? L.A.? A good time to be away from stormy weather, happy new year, my friend.

I am happy to see CogDog expand to include cat photos. :smile:

The DatCat side of CogDog?