World Histories around the world

Hi OEG People! I attended 2019 in Milan, so it occurred to me to ask the community for the names of World History textbooks used in schools (secondary or college) around the world. Ideally OERs to which I could gain access (and translate electronically), but print books I could possibly get via interlibrary loans also. I’m considering a project (possibly a course, possibly an OER) comparing the ways and the topics students around the world are taught in world history and how this has changed over time. Thanks! --Dan Allosso, Bemidji Minnesota USA

1 Like

Hi Dan, thanks for posting your question although it looks like no one has replied yet.

If you have not tried already, suggest:

I hope I can send more experts here to help!

Hi Dan. We have one world history textbook that might be of interest to you in the BC open textbook collection.

"World History: Cultures, States, and Societies to 1500 offers a comprehensive introduction to the history of humankind from prehistory to 1500. Authored by six USG faculty members with advance degrees in History, this textbook offers up-to-date original scholarship. It covers such cultures, states, and societies as Ancient Mesopotamia, Ancient Israel, Dynastic Egypt, India’s Classical Age, the Dynasties of China, Archaic Greece, the Roman Empire, Islam, Medieval Africa, the Americas, and the Khanates of Central Asia. "

We also have some more regionally specific history textbooks that could be used as sections of a book for someone who might want to excerpt and use in a larger world history project

Hello!! You should have a look in the Open Textbook Library

A quick search “World History” and found a handful, and one specific to your concerns: World History: Cultures, States, and Societies to 1500 - Open Textbook Library

Hope its what you’re looking for!! Best wishes and greetings to Alan!!

Werner

Thanks Werner, you’re the best!

That same one you referenced (Berger et al) is the title that @clintlalonde referenced and also shows up in the LibreText collection I saw… so it must be a popular one.

1 Like