A Call for Ukrainian OER for Refugee Learners

Just because I keep this on my radar, via twitter I came across the Ukrainian Canadian Congress based in Winnipeg, which “Represents the Ukrainian Canadian community before the people and Government of Canada”

On twitter as @ukrcancongress

I can’t imagine this as an environment of education, but this is what’s happening:

Again, I ask, what can / are open educators able to do/doing?

1 Like

Again not directly related to Ukraine language OER, but potential information sources

I experimented with the ResearchBuzz Firehose service by adding a tag for education, only 2 results but did find from the prolific k12 educational resource curator Larry Ferlazzo a sprawling list of news, resources about teaching about the conflict

1 Like

I wanted to share this here, since it seems like an appropriate place to drop it. “Amid the terror of war, efforts to keep science alive in Ukraine”

1 Like

Just announced today, the formation of Ukrainian Global University

Ukrainian government, educational institutions, and civil society organizations jointly launch Ukrainian Global University (UGU). It is a global network that brings together the world’s best educational institutions. This non-profit initiative aims to connect Ukrainian students, fellows, scientists, and tutors with educational institutions worldwide, newly offered scholarships, fellowships, and postdoc programs. The platform ensures that the displaced students, scholars, and fellows are not abandoned; it also supports those who are willing to study/do research abroad in order to come back and rebuild Ukraine. The main goal of the UGU initiative is to overcome the devastating consequences of Russia’s aggressive war and jointly with the international intellectual community develop ideas and practices to build a new Ukraine.

An announcement from 2U (who acquired EdX) about their decision to stop hosting of courses from Russian University and extend access to their campus services to Ukrainian students.

1 Like

SUCHO is doing an impressive amount of digital archive rescue, see this summary of what librarians are doing to use Webrecorder digital tools to archive copies of key Ukrainian culture web sites that are quickly disappearing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/04/08/ukraine-digital-history/

All grass roots effort…

Over the past month, SUCHO has developed systematic, and creative, way to go about its work. There’s a master spreadsheet where volunteers detail all the Ukrainian museums, libraries, and archives that need to have their websites backed up or ones that have been completed. To develop this list, SUCHO’s organizers receive tips from librarians and archivists across the world who may know of a rare museum in Ukraine that needs to have its work backed up.

Other volunteers have become sleuths, using Google Maps to take a digital walk down Ukrainian streets, looking for any signs that might say “museum” or “library” and trying to find out if it has a website that needs archiving.

It started with a tweet from a music librarian at Tufts University

https://twitter.com/anna_kijas/status/1497736861128794112

This is how the world is responding, impressive!

1 Like

The Internet Archive announces all of its books and periodicals are available to Ukrainian libraries via inter-library loan:

Hi everyone,
please find attached a text written by Tetiana Kolesnykova, a librarian in Dnipro at the Ukrainian State University of Science and Technologies, who shares her personal and professional experience with the first steps in OE during a time of crisis. Tetiana already agreed to share this text and disseminate it as widely as possible: she wrote it in Ukrainian and another librarian from Ukraine, @Mira, living in the Netherland, was so kind to help Tetiana translate it into English.
As members of the Open Education global community, and as human beings, I think this text is worth five minutes of our time.

OE developments in UA - en.pdf (60.3 KB)

1 Like

From asking on twitter for some responses to Tetiana’s message:

1 Like