OEG Live! Join us for a May Pilot Season

I really enjoyed the excitement and conversations of the live webcasts we ran during Open Education Week (all episodes available as YouTube playlist).

Now I hope to continue the concept with a new series we are trying this month as OEG Live! Open Conversations Live on the Internet (I am making this up as I go).

draft art work CC-BY by @Mario

The plan now is to start with two shows this month. The format again is unstructured, with topics guests bring or want to talk about. If you want to be in the studio with us, see the signup sheet below. But for now we want to put out a tentative schedule, with details to be added as we fill in the spots. Yes I have already adjusted the schedule!

Watch The Show, Live!

OEG Live! is streamed to YouTube for live viewing where you will be able to send questions/comments to the studio via chat. We now will make new topic for each show including the YouTube live stream/archive, so you can return to add comments/questions later.

• Climate Change, Film Narrative, OER, and Education Futures 2023-05-04T19:00:00Z with guest Judith Sebesta sharing a new OER on Telling Stories to Save the World: Climate Change and Narrative Film plus guest Bryan Alexander, author of Universities on Fire a new book on the future of education and climate change.
    :arrow_forward: Full details…

• Regional Leaders of Open Education (RLOE) 2023-05-30T17:00:00Z We welcome the RLOE advisory team leaders sharing their ] submitted manuscript “Reimagining Leadership in Open Education: Networking to Promote Social Justice and Systemic Change”. Guests include Karen Cangialosi, Carlos Goller, Esperanza Zenon, Rebecca Vasquez Ortiz, Deidre Tyler, and Kim Grewe
    :arrow_forward: Full details…

This is still quite experimental and we fully intend to expand our schedule to more world friendly times and also to organize shows in other languages.

Alan, I am looking forward to joining you on May 4 to talk about my new OER, Telling Stories to Save the World: Climate Change and Narrative Film! Here is a teaser of the cover…

Thanks so much for sharing this new OER with us! Can you share a bit of a blurb or a teaser about it?

Is this about creating narratives to describe climate change or something that looks at how climate change is represented in film? (I grew up in the 1970s watching all of he disaster films).

Also, because I love photos, is that your image on the cover? Your hands? Location in somewhere like Nevada, Utah eastern California?

I am excited for our conversation and hope we can entice, interest more people to sign up to join us in the studio to talk about your new project or o share their own OER and ope projects, especially if there is a climate change aspect.

1 Like

Thanks, Alan! It looks at how climate change is represented in narrative (as opposed to documentary) film. Here is a blurb:

Telling Stories to Save the World explores the history and impact of the “Cli-Fi Film,” or Climate Fiction Film, a sub-genre of narrative cinema that depicts, on some level, the effects of climate change on the Earth and its inhabitants. The exploration begins with Soylent Green (1973) and ends with Don’t Look Up (2021) (for now).

I adapted the image from one I found on PickPik, which allows for use for both personal and commercial projects with no attribution required (although I do anyway).

I’ll also share here this brief video intro to the resource

I would love to hear about other projects on climate change from anyone who joins!

I described this as being updated as we go! Here are some exciting updates for this month’s shows (see updated listing above).

Sorry for moving things around, it ,makes more sense to have a separate topic for each show!

Climate Change, Film Narrative, OER, and Education Futures (Thursday May 4)

Not only do we get a first look at Judith Sebesta’s new OER on Climate Change and Narrative, we have as an additional guest an expert on the impact of climate change on higher education, futurist and educator Bryan Alexander. He has been researching this over the last view years (see his series of blog posts) and has just published the new book about this topic, Universities on Fire. Plus Bryan has quite a bit of expertise in digital storytelling and film culture.

In Universities on Fire , futurist Bryan Alexander explores higher education during an age of unfolding climate crisis. Powered by real-world examples and the latest research, Alexander assesses practical responses and strategies by surveying contemporary programs and academic climate research from around the world. He establishes a model of how academic institutions may respond and offers practical pathways forward for higher education. How will the two main purposes of education—teaching and research—change as the world heats up? Alexander positions colleges and universities in the broader social world, from town-gown relationships to connections between how campuses and civilization as a whole respond to this epochal threat.

All details… https://connect.oeglobal.org/t/-/5272

Regional Leaders of Open Education (RLOE) (Tuesday, May 30)

Now we have a full discussion set for the end of the month with the advisory team of the Regional Leaders of Open Education (RLOE) project (an OEGlobal program) who will be talking about a new manuscript that summarizes their achievements, “Reimagining Leadership in Open Education: Networking to Promote Social Justice and Systemic Change”

Guests for this show include Karen Cangialosi, Carlos Goller, Esperanza Zenon, Rebecca Vasquez Ortiz, Deidre Tyler, and Kim Grewe.

Full details…

Participating in OEG Live!

Remember that anyone can watch these shows live on YouTube (or see the recordings later) and can send comments or questions to the guests during the show (or add them after here).