Open Education, Inflections Points and Grounding Principles

Cathy, I have some additional thoughts about your additional thoughts. Is that thinking squared?

“The term OER never really captured the early goals of applying knowledge distribution to improve teaching and learning across the global, and the term Open Education now is more encompassing and inclusive of our collective work. Openly licensed textbooks is but one sub-system or strategy of the larger OE ecosystem. No cost openly licensed textbooks eliminates a monetary constraint but is not necessarily a radical innovation with respect to teaching and learning.”

The term OER is not at fault for goals not being achieved. Teaching and learning haven’t been improved because there’s been very little intention to do so. Instead, OER has primarily been used to reduce the cost of textbooks and to create a new industry of for profit homework systems that accompany the OER textbooks and are delivered on proprietary LMSs. OpenStax currently has eighty-nine ‘Technology Partners’ OpenStax relies on these for profit purveyors of proprietary systems to “provide a variety of learning technology options alongside our text that enhance teaching and learning” for a fee. All of the systems could be OER if there was an intention to make it so.

The amorphous imaginary going by the name of Open Education isn’t changing teaching and learning either. It’s providing excuses to go to exotic locations for conferences that very, very few teachers can afford.

“While each individual’s vision for operationalizing strategies for the OE movement may differ, it is where we have shared guiding principles that have held the field together.”

What are the guiding principles?

"There are many different paths to the realization of a global vision that will need to be led by regional leaders knowledgeable of their local needs and context. Distributed leadership is key."

What is the global vision?

“Movements shift and morph”.

A Movement shifting and morphing, a social imaginary with only abstract concepts, doesn’t get much funding from the entities that have traditionally financed learning materials.

AI is the huge disrupting force. Yes, we need to be mindful, local contexts vary and those with furthest access from “freedoms” have always been a priority (and the most difficult to serve).”

There’s not much evidence that those with the furthest access from freedoms have been a priority. OEGlobal is morphing into AIGlobal. The for profit purveyors are lining up to collect credit card numbers from eager learners and their parents. “It’s only pennies per response” The problem is that it doesn’t work on a global scale, so the term AIGlobal doesn’t work. The pricing structure of OpenStax’s Partners are not tailored for those with furthest access.

@danmcguire thanks raising some important questions. You remind me that part of what I have always loved about the OER community is the wide range of perspectives and positions.

I use the image of a tapestry when I think about the OE community, with each thread representing an individual, somewhere across the globe, creating and contributing to the complex structure that the work represents. Some sections of the tapestry are further along than others, all with different textures and colors. It is what makes the tapestry so intriguing and vibrant. Contributors are innovative and pioneers, trying new approaches. And in practice, it’s always good to look back at the OEG Awardees and their impactful and meaningful work for a slice of all the contributions underway across the globe.

New fields required attention to pedagogical, legal, technical, cultural, social, political, and financial components to be successful. Neither OE nor OER can be reduced to a single canonical statement of vision, although some subsets of the community and websites clearly articulate/describe their vision and goals. From my perspective, I see high level principals aligning along various sub-sectors of the ecosystem.

Some strategies help bridge the past to the future - I think of open textbooks that way - a necessary and important contribution - but not the end game, not sufficient to change teaching and learning practices. So much more needs to be wrapped around the open assets to make that happen with respect to pedagogy, as just one small example.

It is important to remember we are all contributing to a long arc of change and each step makes a difference.

(Let me wrap this for the moment as I am now taking time for a family gathering and will be offline for a bit - hope and expect others will continue to add to this thoughtful thread.)

Thinkings and opinions, contrary too, are welcome here, Dan. I for one do not feel the confidence to make sweeping conclusions about what Open Education, or all the things under the umbrella of teaching and learning, is doing from all corners of the world.

Yes, their or questionable practices out there, and call them out with specifics, as what you stated about one provider. But casting that as a conclusion across everything in open textbooks or asserting that it is the only thing happening in OER is not supported by evidence.

Furthermore, there is nothing in tis organizations activities, programs to back up a claim “OEGlobal is morphing into AIGlobal” we have no agendas, projects, stands on AI, no deals with big companies-- unless you are referring to me posting topics here to generate discussion. That is what we do here. Please refrain from casting these as conclusions without something to back them up.

We welcome different viewpoints and opinions here, no one is telling you not to do this, but it does not help a discussion to just toss criticisms without backing.

Alan, other than my assertion that ‘OEGlobal is morphing into AIGlobal’ which specific criticism needs more backing. I’ll be happy to oblige. And, I will be pleased if my assertion about OEGlobal morphing into AIGlobal turns out to not be true. I’ve predicted the Twins would beat the Yankees many times, and that has turned out to be almost always not true. That’s not pleasing.

Alan, I have no excuse for the length of this reply. :sweat_smile:

If someone claimed they were an expert in some discipline, how would you go about confirming it? You’d likely start by asking them factual questions, then move on to asking them to explain difficult concepts to you, then ask them to apply some principles of the discipline to solve a problem, and perhaps finally ask them to make deep connections between the discipline in question and some other discipline, or to every day life, etc. In short, you’d probably ask them to engage in a series of activities that increase in complexity (e.g., tasks that work their way up Bloom’s taxonomy) until you felt satisfied that they were an “expert.” That’s “all” that I’m talking about here. The ability to answer questions, explain difficult concepts, apply principles to solve problems, make new connections, etc. It’s definitely not lived experience, but I think it passes for a rudimentary kind of expertise.

And I take your point about a person needing their own expertise to be able to engage with AI tools. Here’s a musical example I often share:

• Say you have a person who has no experience playing the violin. And you give that person a million dollar Stradivarius to play. What will the music sound like?
  • Now say you have a person with a DMA in Violin Performance. And you give them a $35 elementary school rental violin to play. What will the music sound like?

A person with good training and poor tools beats a person with poor training and good tools every time. Regardless of how powerful generative AI tools become, a person’s ability to use them to accomplish their goals will ultimately be limited by the person’s training and experience.

The importance of training is something I feel acutely in my work at Lumen. As you might know, our mission is to “eliminate race, gender, and income as predictors of success in US higher ed general education courses.” Building and adapting great OER and other great wrap around tools and functionality isn’t enough if instructors and students don’t know how to “play” them. And in the past, we’ve seen many instances of instructors adopting our interactive courseware tools but continuing to “play” them as if they were a static textbook. It’s kind of like watching someone move from playing a piano to playing a church organ, but when they play the organ they continue to play on only one manual (ignoring the other manuals, ignoring the foot pedals, ignoring the many stops that would let the organ produce the sounds of other instruments, etc.).

These experiences have really helped me crystalize my theory of change regarding the role our work can play in closing the equity gap in academic performance:

• Students learn by doing; that is, they learn from the things they do.
  • The students who experience the least equitable outcomes often have busy lives with many competing priorities, and typically don’t do anything “optional.” In fact, they often struggle just to complete what’s required by their instructor.
  • If students learn by doing, and many of them only do what the instructor requires, then the only way to really change student learning is to change what instructors require them to do.
    Consequently,
  • A primary design goal of course materials intended to help close the equity gap must be changing instructor behavior; specifically, helping instructors engage in more evidence-based teaching practices.

We often think of OER and courseware as being learning materials (i.e., for use by students). But it might be that their role in influencing instructor behavior is even more important than their role in supporting student learning directly. In our recent Gates Foundation-funded work we’ve been focused on changing faculty behavior in this way (so that they engage in more evidence-based teaching practices). And in preliminary evaluations by a third-party, we’re seeing some promising signs that our approach is working (e.g., significant increases in the amount of active learning happening in classrooms). It’s also why we expanded our work into professional development several years ago. “Free learning materials” aren’t going to accomplish the goal that we’re working toward.

Somewhat related to a point I think Dan was making in his reply, up until about the mid-2010s it felt like the goal of the OE movement in US higher ed (I’m definitely not making any global claims here) was “improving student learning.” There was a large influx of people into the US higher ed OE community then, and most of them seemed to come with the primary goal of “eliminating textbook costs.” That’s a fine goal to have, but it’s a distinctly different goal from “improving student learning.” It’s also a dramatically easier goal to achieve - choose an OpenStax PDF for your course instead of a Pearson title and you’re done. Mission accomplished!

This brings us back to Cathy’s original question about grounding principles. These two goals, “improve student learning” and “eliminate textbook costs,” are related to one another. But you will definitely optimize your decisions, behavior, and resource usage differently depending on which goal is your primary goal. And it feels to me like these two sister goals are increasingly at odds with one another. I worry the “eliminate textbook costs” crowd will lobby against generative AI use in classes simply because their are costs associated with it, and that they’ll do this lobbying without regard for the dramatic, positive impacts generative AI could have on student learning (again, speaking about the US higher ed context here). Arguing for worse student outcomes in order to save students money doesn’t seem like a winning message to me, and I worry what it will mean for the future of the US higher ed OE movement once faculty put two and two together (i.e., “zero textbook cost” requirements mean no generative AI for students). Which do we really think they’ll choose?

1 Like

As someone born in Baltimore, I can assert for myself that anytime the Yankees lose is good. Keep the discussions coming.

Thanks David, I am gelling with your ideas, and your expertise (!) in how you are thinking. Believe me you have lit the fire for my thinking that we need to be going beyond what we have known as fixed content, that the back and forth of a dialog as a means of interaction with information is a positive direction.

Frankly, I dont spent time trying to assess someone who claims to be an expert in a discipline (that’s in the line of self proclaimed “thought leaders”). If I see someone who I think is in expert, its from being able to see their outputs, things they have create, demonstrations of that knowledge in a field. It’s also built by how I see others cite, reference interact. Expertise is granted through titles, reputations.

The AI expertise seems more like encyclopedic range and depth of knowledge, but that I can engage with through a conversational approach. Maybe its more Info-tise. As a new learner in a subject, am I able to really go through the process to identify expertise? If it sounds expert is that enough? But I have read they ways you teach with this, and its never tossing learners into the promptbox.

You are absolutely on target with the emphasis on “improving student learning” and how that ties to Cathy’s original question. Personally, affordable textbooks have never been a prime interest to me, its worthwhile yes, but almost I have never been in awe of textbooks (save my intro geology textbook which lit the fire for me to bail on studying computer science, but that’s another story). I have always been interested in the expert / motivating teachers I was lucky to have (and the others I forget).

Thanks both for writing long and making me think.

Earlier in this thread I said:
“Teaching and learning haven’t been improved because there’s been very little intention to do so. Instead, OER has primarily been used to reduce the cost of textbooks and to create a new industry of for profit homework systems that accompany the OER textbooks and are delivered on proprietary LMSs. OpenStax currently has eighty-nine ‘Technology Partners’. OpenStax relies on these for profit purveyors of proprietary systems to “provide a variety of learning technology options alongside our text that enhance teaching and learning” for a fee. All of the systems could be OER if there was an intention to make it so.”

Today I noticed an announcement that Instructure (Canvas) was acquired by KKR for $4.8 Billion. A month ago, PowerSchool was acquired by Bain Capital for $5.5 Billion. Powerschool is primarily in K-12, Canvas in Higher Ed. Both of them derive their money by providing access to education materials on proprietary SaaS systems that look and act like cloud based LMSs.

I gotta wonder; how much of that content and delivery system being leased to educational institutions producing enough revenue to cover those kind of acquisition costs might otherwise be OER and could the systems delivering the content also be open source? It seems like there might be enough money in the ‘education enterprise’ to sustain at least a little more OER and open source systems in both Higher Ed and K-12.

Well, I guess, OEGlobal isn’t morphing into AIGlobal, it’s just Open Education morphing into Generative AI Education Why Open Education Will Become Generative AI Education - LibCal - University of Regina

I enjoy your responses Dan :wink: thanks for the reminder as I need to add this to our space of events of interest.

I’ve already signed up, as I am open to the idea of GenAI having an impact ion our traditional perception of OER as fixed entities. The title aside, I do not see this as a wholesale transformation of Open Education, but I am open to be provoked.

See you there?

I’m already occupied at that hour, but I’m eager to learn about David’s business model for Generative AI Education, especially for the 55% percent of students who don’t have access to the internet.