:async: Open Education Resources (OER) in Taiwan – OCW, MOOC and Open Textbooks

Authors: Ta-Wei Li, Yu-Lun Huang, Han-Ju Ho, Chun-Hsuan Hsieh
Institutions: National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan Open Course and Education Consortium

Topic: Applications of Open Education Practices/Open Pedagogy/Open Education Research
Sector: Higher Education
UNESCO Area of Focus: Inclusive OER
Session Format: Presentation

Abstract

This presentation is to lay out the development of OER in Taiwan with a focus on the two tracks of OCW and MOOC, each of which has its own particular growing root. In 2006, a total of three fundamental science classes were recorded at NCTU (National Chiao Tung University) and they were the first OCW (OpenCourseWare) in Taiwan. In 2020, there are 1311 OCW video courses, and 790 MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) courses opened this summer in Taiwan. Now, there are 2 major OER consortiums, 4 major MOOC platforms, 20 OCW members and 62 MOOC members (each member represents one university). The observation shows that OCW and MOOC has two major differences. One is the time sequence: OCW started in 2006, eight years earlier than MOOC, while the latter boosted up at a much faster rate. The reason is that OCW emerged from the consciousness of the education revolution, which was prevalent in 1990s, resulting with the tide of the digital learning. On the contrary, MOOC courses were promoted by the Ministry of Education in 2014, along with public popularity and learning fashion. Although OCW does not grow as fast as MOOC here, but the user statistics show that tremendous amount of students still use OCW as a significant OER. In Taiwan, OCW video courses are mainly used by the students of the elite universities or those who plan to enter the elite universities, and MOOC are mainly used by the students of the non-elite universities or the public. In 2019, a new OER project was launched; i.e., Open Textbooks were introduced in Taiwan. This presentation will show stories, user statistics, and government policies to explain how OER arose, grew and transformed in Taiwan.

Keywords

Taiwan, OER, OCW, MOOC, Open Textbooks

1 Like

I am Ta-Wei and most of my friends call me Dave. I am the chairman of Taiwan Open Course and Education Consortium. Yu-Lun is the secretary and Chun-Husan and Han-Ju are the commissioners. They organize the important seminars and workshops and collect and analyze the data of OCW. We work together to collect the usage data from our members and give a brief introduction to β€œOER of Higher Education in Taiwan” including OCW, MOOCs and Open Textbooks.

Hi Dave
This is Chandrakant thanking you for your comprehensive presentation on OER in Taiwan. I learnt a lot.
Thanking you once again.
With regards
Prof. Chandrakant Baviskar

1 Like

Hi Chandrakant,

Thank you!

I originally planned to give the asynchronous presentation, because we still keep working in Taiwan. Thank Marian (the host of Taiwan) for the invitation. Therefore, I give my presentation in the first keynote panel.

I am glad that you enjoy the short talk. If you need any more information about OER of Taiwan, please let me know and I am happy to help you to find it. :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Dave

Good Morning Dave
Nice to hear from you. Definitely I would like to know more about OER of Taiwan. It will definitely help us at our end to go head constructively. Thank you for extending cooperation in this regard.
Anticipate your response.
Thank you one more time.

With regards