:async: Reuse of OER Considered from Different Perspectives

Authors: Robert Schuwer, Marjon Baas, Ria Jacobi
Institutions: Fontys University of Applied Sciences, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, Inholland University of Applied Sciences

Topic: Applications of Open Education Practices/Open Pedagogy/Open Education Research
Sector: Higher Education
UNESCO Area of Focus: Building capacity
Session Format: Lightning Talk

Abstract

To fully reach the potential of OER in the Netherlands, it is important to gain more insights into the current state of reuse. Especially, since adoption of OER is a main theme within the Dutch Higher Education system. In 2015, the Ministry of Education published the Strategic Agenda in which the educational ambitions for the next 10 years were described. With regards to OER the following was formulated: ‘I call on institutes and their teaching staff to share their educational resources and to use materials from their colleagues both inside and outside their institutes.’

There is scant insight available into the prevalence of ‘dark reuse’ as only a small number of studies have explored this issue. Nonetheless, it is suggested that ‘dark reuse’ might be more prevalent due to the limited awareness of OER as the concept is still ambiguous for most teachers. The Dutch Special Interest Group on Open Education wants to add to more insight into practices of reuse. They will publish a special issue on this theme in which these practices are approached from the perspectives of the teacher, student, librarian, local educational support (professionalization) and national support. In the Lightning talk we will present the publication and our findings regarding the practices of reuse.

Keywords

reuse, OER, Open Educational Practice

Welcome to our lightning talk. Reuse of OER is an issue still gets less attention than sharing OER. But reuse of OER is not self-evident among teachers. In this talk we will offer reuse as seen from different perspectives: teachers, learners and support staff

I am very interested to hear about your findings on the practices of reuse, in particular, relating to teachers or support staff, if they expressed a need to change a resource. I am not sure how I can join your lightening talk, please me know. Thank you.

Thank you for your interest in our presentation. I just uploaded our presentation, you can find it here: https://video.saxion.nl/media/OE+Global±+SIG+Open+Education+on+reuse/1_y83pul5o

4 Likes

Hi! I would like to receive a copy of the report when it is ready. I’m very interested in the librarian view point, as well…I’m a librarian, of course :slight_smile: philip.jensen@tccd.edu

Thanks Phil for your interest. We will send you the report as soon as it is published (expected February 2021)

1 Like