Say Hello and Share Your Summer Goals in Open Pedagogy

Thanks for the suggestions! I would love to have more feedback, ideas, etc. I actually have a draft of the assignment instructions now. I haven’t found any good examples yet, though. I know that probably sounds like I’m doing it backwards. This task is for a writing-about-literature class. Students are directed to pick one term from a list (e.g. “foreshadowing”) and then they record their own definition of it. As part of the definition, they have to give an example from a story we’ve read for class. I like assignments which allow students to position themselves as knowledge-creators. That’s one reason why I am so attracted to Open Pedagogy. The Soundcloud idea sounds great.

The milk looks good.

I never could get my bread to work right. Homemade bread sound great.

Having students reply via video is an excellent way of engagement. The rubric will instruct them in with what you are grading on. Sounds engaging.

Hi Cynthia, I would love to hear more about your digital zine idea. I have assigned zines before in an English 102, research writing course, but am interested in also revamping that former assignment into something digital. Thank you!

Amy

This is some sourdough bread I made with starter I cultured myself. I confess that I was one of those people who started making sourdough bread during the pandemic, and then I kept doing it. This is not the most recent loaf, but it is one of the first that turned out really well.

1 Like

Wow, that looks scrumptious! Nice work!

1 Like

That looks like it could be on television.

1 Like

What a great project! Are you planning to build an audio dictionary for literary terms? That would be a neat way to organize the information.

Eventually, I would like to do something like that. This is my first time trying an audio assignment, so for now I just want to make sure it works logistically. I’ve also consulted several folks about possible accessibility issues and I’ve tried to anticipate those when writing the instructions. But an audio dictionary of some sort is the eventual goal.

This “sounds” like a good idea for an assignment, with may be some thought given to the reason for having a definition presented as audio. I need no convincing, the sound of a human voice ought to bring the definition alive, and opens possibilities for having multiple interpretations.

The Open Pedagogy part goes to thinking about what is the gain of having the definitions openly available or produced publically, which can just as well be a space that people beyond your students can use or even co-participate in.

A slightly related project I recall was is WordBox where Art class where students researched terms and wrote public definitions paired with images. They also had to write about their process of finding answers… http://origin.coventry.domains/wordbox

The how part can be accomplished many ways, from shared documents to wikis to a multi-authored blog to more. If you want a simple web based audio recorder (if this is not an activity where they might be editing audio) Vocaroo is really simple to use https://vocaroo.com/

Hello! I am new to using open education sources in my courses - which has not been currently embraced in my department. I teach upper division courses in Molecular Diagnostics and Clinical Microbiology, but feel that OER can provide the structure I need in my courses, while I add industry level standards of clinical assessment - which are never accurate in published textbooks. My goal this summer is to continue to grow in understanding the use of OER, to search materials for my Spring 2022 courses. I teach at the University of Alaska Anchorage

1 Like

Welcome to this space, Grace. I am confident there is expertise here to provide you suggestions, examples for Microbiology.

Can you say more about the shortcomings of clinical assessment in published textbooks?

Please feel free any time to ask for a specific need.

Hello all, Amanda Taintor here.
What a fantastic group to collaborate with! My affiliation might be simpler than my role so let’s start there. I hail from Reedley College, a medium-size California Community College in the rural central valley of California. We are nestled at the foot of the Sierra Nevada mountains and amidst thousands of acres of fruit trees and grapevines. I’ve been a full-time Early Childhood Education instructor, Distance Education Coordinator, Instructional Designer, and SLO coordinator at Reedley College. After enjoying a sabbatical to work on an OER strategic framework for my college, I came back in the spring as an interim director of Title V programs but am happy to be returning to my full-time faculty role in the Fall. Doing what… is yet to be determined :slight_smile: Before this year, I had the opportunity to serve as a region lead and project monitor for the ASCCC OERI.

I have loved the concept of Open Pedagogy for many years and have found the little bits I’ve integrated into my course to be incredibly beneficial to my teaching and students.

One of the possible roles for my return in the Fall is as OER coordinator for the campus. As part of my sabbatical, I designed an introduction to Open Pedogagy self-paced course in canvas for my faculty, and I’m hoping to complete its first revision this summer. As part of my possible role in the fall, I’ll continue to support faculty as they go through the course and integrate open pedagogy into their course.

1 Like

I am the executive director of our center for teaching and learning. We are working with faculty to implement OER in a variety of courses. We should be capable of offering Z-degrees for both AA and AS by fall 2022.

1 Like

Welcome Amanda! Thanks for jumping in quickly during our Launch Party and sharing your role and work at Reedley College (I spent a lot of time in my graduate student years on the other side of the Sierra Nevada, doing Geology field work near Bishop).

We’d love to hear more about your Open Pedagogy sefl-paced course, that’s something that many will be interested in.

1 Like

Hello, Everyone! I’m Carmen Beaudry. I teach Humanities at Pima Community College in Tucson, Arizona. I am originally from San Diego (born and raised) for all you Californians out there. I recently became the OCML (Online Master Course Lead) for Mythology. I have a curate an exhibit (where students create an online exhibit that identifies the ways in which ancient and modern artists have illustrated the great myths and depicted the gods and goddesses through the visual arts) assignment in the Master that students like but is not as engaging as I would have hoped (it’s a BONGO assignment). Maybe a living assignment, where everyone works together, would work better. I’m hoping to get more insight and exposure to open pedagogy to create a more interactive and engaging course. I am super excited to spend the summer with all of you.

Hello and thanks for joining the summer adventure Carmen. Do you have more examples or descriptions about the current assignment? And what is a “BONGO” assignment?

A first half thought is having them use of of those image comparison tools to create a way to compare an ancient and modern work depicting the same mythical character or plot point? There is the research in finding the open licensed imagery and perhaps creating it in a way that visitors can engage in discussions about it?

One of my go to people on Mythology and Folklore is Laura Gibbs http://mythfolklore.net/ also @OnlineCrsLady on twitter. She’s been more into microfiction, but she always has creative ideas.

Another connection is from UBC Biologist David Ng who created the trading card game PhyloGame where learners create character cards based on species https://phylogame.org/

Phylo is a project that began as a reaction to the following nugget of information: Kids know more about Pokemon creatures than they do about real creatures*. We think there’s something wrong with that. Apparently, so do many others.

It’s possible maybe to use a trading card metaphor creation activity based on mythical characters??

Again, not directly related, but I like the Compendium of Bothersome Beasties from Coventry University where students embody their fears or worries about school as mythical creatures, which are then written up with remedies to get rid of them:

Bothersome Beasties are critters, fairies, goblins, trolls and other wondrous things that worm their way into our lives and like nothing better than to create chaos and cause confusion! When we find a Beastie has unexpectedly emerged, the best way to overcome the troublesome troublemaker is to write them down into the Compendium so everyone can see them and know that they exist. The more they are known about, the shyer they become.

Again, this is not your topic, but some kind of creative approach to combine imagery and research that is part of a public collection might trigger ideas? The closing quote on their project about page says a lot of the “why” of Open Pedagogy:

“For student reflection to be meaningful, it must be metacognitive, applicable, and shared with others.” Larissa Pahomov

1 Like

Ciao a tutte e tutti!

My name is Surian Figueroa. I am a professor of ESL and Italian at Southwestern College. I am working on a project to create OER that integrates culture and language while promoting Culturally Responsive Teaching and accessibility. As part of my project, I will attend conferences, workshops and create language learning modules in Canvas. If anyone would like to see a more detailed version of my plan, please let me know. And if anyone has any info on great OER Resources in Italian, especially those based on open sources and authentic materials such a movie shorts, stories, films, literature and more, please let me know. Best to you all!
Suri

Hello Surian! I’m so glad you are working on OER for Italian - it’s certainly needed. Were you able to find a few good starting points for the project or would you like some help finding OER? World languages are wonderful disciplines for incorporating Open Pedagogy. I’m looking forward to learning more about your project :slight_smile: