Say Hello and Share Your Summer Goals in Open Pedagogy

To start this Open Pedagogy Summer Adventure we ask everyone to introduce themselves and share what you hope to do this summer as your own professional growth in open pedagogy.

You might include:

• Where you are, your affiliation and role.
  • What do you know or want to know about open pedagogy?
  • What summer projects, goals do you have that related to open pedagogy? Are you working on an OE development project? Improving skills? Redesigning courses?

Or, just let us know what questions you have about the Summer Adventure.

And if you have not done so already you can join our participant group to be part of this community and get notifications when we add new activities.

1 Like

No one is eager to say hello when there are responses! As the person responsible for creating this kind of loosely structured summer experience, it falls on me to start.

I am Alan Levine and after my first stint in educational technology at the Maricopa Community Colleges I branched out to do work with the New Media Consortium, and several years of independent consulting in edtech. I have been working with OE Global for a year now on efforts of building engagement and activities for members.

I love the web, multimedia, digital storytelling, creativity, and yes, I even love HTML.

Imgur
Worn and Favorite flickr photo by cogdogblog shared into the public domain using Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0)

I have been involved this past year supporting a BCcampus project around H5P and offered to build some summer adventure activities for those interested in building interactive content in it. I’d also be keen to do some work with folks interested in web annotation.

And I am responsible for this OEG Connect platform so contact me for help and or complaints.

Who wants to cook with H5P this summer? Head this way.

1 Like

Hello Alan and Everyone,

I’m Una Daly, CCCOER, director, and thrilled that you’ve decided to join us for this Summer Open Pedagogy Adventure. We’ve never tried this kind of professional development activity before and it’s exciting to have the opportunity to work together for a couple of months on projects of our own choosing but with expert support.

If that sounds a little like open pedagogy in practice, that’s because it’s supposed to. I was a software engineer and manager in a previous galaxy faraway and we used to have an expression about “eating your own dog food” which loosely translated meant use the software you develop before you shipped it to customers. So here is an opportunity for you to participate in an open pedagogy project before you try using it with your students.
milky-way-984050_640
Milky Way Galaxy pixabay photo from Free-Photos shared in the public domain using Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication (CC0)

It’s also totally okay if you’ve already been practicing open pedagogy with your students, we welcome your expertise and ideas. Check out our schedule of ongoing events throughout the summer and drop by and hang out as your schedule allows …

1 Like

Greetings everyone!

My day job is at Butte Community College in Northern California where I am the OER, Distance Education, and Student Learning Outcomes Coordinator. I also teach biology.

I also do OER work at the state level for the ASCCC OERI. My main role is as a project monitor. Our state funded faculty to build some amazing new OER and I got to help these projects with some logistics. As part of that, I built self-paced OER course and a self-paced accessibility course.

This past year, I was fortunate enough to get to work on the CCCOER webinars as part of the Executive Council. This was an amazing experience! And, I recently got trained to facilitate the Creative Commons Certificate. I’m so excited to work with those fabulous folks!

In the past I helped create a few different OER including a Human Biology book that we recently updated to be more inclusive. I’ve done a fair bit with Open Pedagogy in the past, including a start at creating a textbook with my students.

My goals for the Summer Adventure is to be part of great dialogs about OE projects. I’m helping to guide the Resources discussion. Please share your favorite resources. We can all work together to develop a great resource for the community!

Other than all that, my greatest joy is my pupperooo - Truffle who is sitting in a fairy ring

2 Likes

Hi, friends!

My name is Cynthia Orozco, and I’m a librarian at East Los Angeles College and the kind of de facto OER librarian for the last several years. I also do reference, instruction, and outreachy things.

I’m really interested in open pedagogy, specifically in teaching open to students and also teaching them the economics around information access. A lot of times library resources and institutional access aren’t really interrogated, but I think students ought to recognize how libraries provide access, what they have access to and what they don’t have access to, and the conditions in which research are published.

I was lucky enough to be part of a team that recently published an open textbook, Introduction to College Research, and ancillary Canvas Commons modules (thanks to Suzanne and the folks at ASCCC OERI!), but embarrassingly enough, I didn’t get my act together enough to incorporate it into my Library Science 101 course this semester. So I’m going to do a big revamp of my current course. I also want to record some video lectures. Before the pandemic, my asynchronous course was entirely text-based but I’ve really reevaluated my teaching in this last year and I want to have some more video and audio content included, as well.

Glad to be connected to you all here!

1 Like

Welcome Cynthia, so pleased to see you here and to have a faculty librarian join us.

In addition, to the College Research book you worked on, others may want to checkout your featured chapter INFORMED OPEN PEDAGOGY AND INFORMATION LITERACY INSTRUCTION IN STUDENT-AUTHORED OPEN PROJECTS in the Open Pedagogy Approaches text released through the SUNY Milne Library last summer.

Excited to see where you take your Library Science 101 course this summer!!

2 Likes

Thanks, @unatdaly! I know last time when we talked about my class for the OEG Voices podcast, I had this idea that I would transform the zine assignment in this chapter in an online environment. That absolutely did NOT happen for many reasons, so I’m at a point I’m super ready to just build something new from the ground up!

Hi, Suzanne! I just self-enrolled in the two ASCCC OERI self-paced courses, and they are so useful! I’m really excited to go through the content when I get a moment to breathe (I’m counting down the days to summer!).

I also love Truffle! Here’s my puppy Toshi💜:

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Robin Shapiro, a librarian at Portland Community College (OR). I’ve supported instructors who were beginning their OER adventures by helping them find content, create content, and figure out how to package content; now I’d like to learn to develop some active learning materials myself. In other words, I’m here for the H5P!

Most of my teaching is course-integrated – either single library sessions when a class begins a research project, or tutorials and sessions integrated into an online class.

I’m looking forward to adding a couple of kittens to my household this summer, and I promise there will be pictures!

2 Likes

Welcome Robin! I will be serving up many of the H5P activities and look forward to seeing what you can create over the summer.

I love Oregon, have friends/family in Portland and Eugene, and it’s high on the places my wife and I want to visit when traveling becomes a thing we can do again.

I’ve long been more on the dog side of the pet fence, but both my pal, Felix, and I have really taken to two kittens our family adopted this year.

4 Likes

Hello, fellow summer adventure seekers!

My name is Kathy (officially at school, Kathryn). I’m an adjunct instructor in philosophy at Pima Community College in Tucson, AZ, though I currently reside in Phoenix. Here, summer adventures in the comfort of AC/climate-controlled living space are appealing! Teaching online is a job that found me, some years after my retirement from a career in software development. As I tell my students, computer technology is a colossal application philosophical logic.

I maintain (and created) our OER Intro to Philosophy course. I use summer to enhance this course (and the Intro to Logic course), and this summer’s focus project is to add further “applied” activities to the Intro to Philosophy course. Rather than merely pass tests about old dead guys, I want to offer students more opportunities to apply philosophical ideas to situations in everyday life (e.g., personal, political.) I’ve started down this road, but there is so much more to do. I believe the course could be more interesting for the students (and the instructor!) and also, it’s possible that such projects could level the playing field a bit in classes with students working at a diverse array of skill and academic-experience levels.

When this “adventure opportunity” showed up in my email, it seemed like a great companion activity for my current summer plans. I look forward to making virtual acquaintance with each of you and discovering new things. Will share a photo of my wonder dog in the near future.

2 Likes

Welcome Kathy and hello to your colleagues at Pima Community College that I’ve had the pleasure of working with. Excited to hear that you are going to introduce “open pedagogy” into Philosophy and Logic so that it speaks to students’ real life experiences and actively engages them. We have a few philosophers in the community so I know you’re going to get some support on this important work.

My cat, Tiger, at 19 yrs old from last year. I so miss her, especially her ability to be in the moment whether hunting gophers, lizards, etc or cuddling up with her humans.
Tiger

3 Likes

Hi Kathy/Kathryn!

Glad you found us. I lived many years in Phoenix (and later up on the Mogollon Rim) so will resist the “dry heat” clichés. I miss visiting friends in Tucson.

Hope to hear more of your ideas for creating some situational activities to your philosophy course. While we are planning to introduce participants to the H5P set of tools (by request), it’s far from the only way to go about this. But if interested, in my other project I have some examples about using it’s branching scenario content type (powerful but also complex to use).

Greetings!

My name is Judy Westley. I am an Associate Professor of English at Columbia State Community College in Tennessee. I am part of a team that received a grant to create an OER version of one of our composition courses. We are currently working on the course. One of the assignments for the course asks students to create a pod-cast like recording, then post it where other students can listen to it and comment on it. Eventually, I would like to offer students the option of attaching a CC license to their recording, but it’s not currently part of the assignment. I would really like to learn as much as I can about Open Pedagogy. I still consider myself a neophyte. It would really be interesting to discuss with others what kinds of tasks, learning activities, assignments, etc., work well with open pedagogy.

I am very excited to be part of this “adventure” and am looking forward to the various activities.

Thanks!
Judy Westley

1 Like

Hello and welcome Judy. I am hopeful this is the kind of activity we can initiate here where you share your project and others can contribute ideas, suggestions, and maybe you keep us updated as you work on it.

I love audio storytelling and taught in media courses and other ones, and can spin out more thoughts. With any media, before getting into the “how do I make ____” (audio) a good starting point is looking at a range of good examples of the form, and investigating what works. With audio there’s much more than turning on a recording, of course.

Jumping in early, there are many ways of course to publish audio, for what you describe, I liked having students use SoundCloud http://soundcloud.com/ which you can still get a certain amount published on a free plan, but more so, that listeners can attach comments to their place in the audio, rather than just on the piece as a whole. And they do have CC licensing options.

Hi Cynthia!

The Intro to College Research book is amazing! I’ve heard praises for the book from a variety of different places. Thank you for all the amazing work you did to bring that resource into being. I’m looking forward to our discussions this summer!

Toshi is so cute - what a darling :heart:

Hello Everyone,
I am Deidre Tyler. I have been teaching online since 1997 and have been involved with OER since 2017. This summer I am developing many timelines, course presentations, and interactive videos for my classes. I am redesigning a social problems class. I am a sociologist/instructional technologist. I am a cake baker also.

2 Likes

Welcome Deidre to our Summer Open Pedagogy Adventure. Your cake looks simply amazing! Is it Geman Chocolate cake? I really would like to have a piece of it so I could make a better guess. A glass of milk to go with it would make the perfect pairing.

Image: Glass Milk, Alexas-fotos, pixabay.com, Creative Commons License CC0

I also like baking cakes, and bread. Thanks for sharing!