:sync: The Importance of Ethics in Open Data Science: How Students and Teachers can Learn the Importance of Being Human Through Computational Thinking

Authors: Byron Chu, Verena Roberts, David Hay
Institution: Cybera - Callysto Project

Topic: Connecting Open Education to Primary and Secondary (K-12) Education
Sector: K-12
UNESCO Area of Focus: Inclusive OER
Session Format: Panel

Abstract

Make mistakes, accept failure, persevere, collaborate, empathize and consider someone else’s perspective! K-12 students are encouraged to be human in their everyday learning environments. However, integrating learning design to develop these learning outcomes is a lot harder to do. Open data science and open source programming is premised on the idea of a shared learning commons, where people intentionally share information so others can build new knowledge and expand learning beyond isolated computer files, research labs or classroom walls. This presentation will focus on how open data and being part of the open source community amplifies human-centered learning by bridging technology human interactions. Considering ethical perspectives in data science, computational thinking strategies will be used as a framework to guide human-centered critical thinking.

Keywords

open data science, human-centered learning, Ethics

Hello Byron, Verena, & David,

My name is Kristina Ishmael and I’ll be your session facilitator.

• The link to the Zoom room is now listed and is only available for logged in conference registrants (this is why we have been reminding presenters to create accounts).
  • Please ensure you post all of your session materials for attendees!
  • Please try to arrive at least 10 minutes early (there will be another session going on) and let us know in chat that you are here for the next session so we can provide screen sharing access.
  • Towards the end of your session, I will gently provide 5 minute and 1 minute warnings via audio. We are planning to record this session and post an archive later. If you prefer not to have the session recorded, let us know.

If there is anything you need from us, please let us know! Thanks for being part of the conference.
Kristina

Hello, here’s the recording: