Webinar 05 Building Capacity

Hello everyone!

I’m Alex (he/him), a technopedagogue residing in Tiohtià:ke (Montreal), on unceded traditional territory of the Kanien’kehá:ka Nation whom I recognize as the custodians of the lands and waters on which I reside.

Soon, I’ll be welcoming Brenna Clarke Gray, @Melissa_A, @mmills, @Shinta, @DebbieB, @UNizami, Michelle Brailey, Lauren Stieglitz, and Sarah Shaughnessy for this webinar focused on capacity building in OE. Their diverse experiences should give us quite an opportunity to develop shared insight on diverse approaches to Open Pedagogy, Open Educational Practices, and Open Educational Resources.

As stated above, each presentation will last 20 minutes and we’ll make sure that we have 30 minutes or so to interact more broadly. In terms of sequence, I might suggest that we keep the program’s order which should lead us through a very sensible pathway.

1. Brenna Clarke Gray, Developing Writers: Using H5P to Support Composition Practice
  2. @Melissa_A, Faculty and student perceptions of open pedagogy: A case study from British Columbia, Canada
  3. @mmills, @Shinta, @DebbieB, and @UNizami, An International Faculty Fellowship Focusing On Open Pedagogy and the UN SDGs
  4. Michelle Brailey, Lauren Stieglitz, and Sarah Shaughnessy, Moving forward on OERs: Building Capacity through the creation of a cross campus dedicated OER team

I would encourage all these speakers to introduce themselves here so as we get to know them ahead of the webinar.

We often talk about leading by example, so here’s a bit about me. (Others should introduce themselves in any way they feel appropriate.)

Much of my work revolves around collaborative approaches to learning, including efforts in adopting and adapting Open Educational Resources in French and English. Among other ways to involve myself in the OE world, I’m part of Quebec’s OER Leader Network and I participate in several activities with OEG Francophone, including a webinar (in French) about H5P.

An ethnographer by training (and passion), I experience teaching, learning, and participatory-action research as fieldwork. For 20 years, I’ve taught ethnographic disciplines at nine universities in Indiana, New Brunswick, Massachusetts, Quebec, Texas, and Ontario.

(If at all curious, you can hear how I pronounce my name)

1 Like