Wireframing tools and practices

The other day I came across this article about how to draw wireframes, “even if you can’t draw”, and during the same time I was asked about tools for wireframing available, so I wanted to share some of the tools I know.

Wireframing is used by designers to rapidly visualize and communicate things like layouts, website navigation, hierarchy, and other elements of interaction, at the early stages of design. And probably, the best tool for this purpose is: :pen: pen and paper.

But also, wireframing practice can be used not only by designers but anyone who wants to quickly visualize concepts, mind mapping, brainstorming, doing ideation, process flows, etc.

I have seen many tools out there for wireframing, some are paid, some are free, some have a steeper learning curve than others. Here is a list of some tools I know, that are free to use:

Whimsical

Tool for wireframing, brainstorming, mind mapping, and more. Has a free limited version. Very good to collaborate.

Penpot

Penpot is the first Open Source design and prototyping platform meant for cross-domain teams.

Way more sophisticated and specialized for user interface design. It is free and open-source so it is worth trying and supporting.

Google Jamboard

Its power lies in collaboration. It is great for brainstorming in real-time.

Pencil Project

Another free and open-source software for creating wireframes and mockups.

MyDraft

An open-source and free wireframing tool that is accessible anywhere you can use a browser.

There are only a few. Do you know other wireframing tools or examples it can be used for?

Thanks for these, Mario, all new to me. Perhaps you can say more about what makes a wireframing tool different from the other collaborative/online drawing tools for doing flow charts and diagrams. It’s been a long time since I used it, but one of the earliest ones I recall was GLiffy

https://www.gliffy.com/

Good question Alan :slight_smile:

As far as I know, technically, wireframes are a way to visualize ideas when designing any digital product (website, LMS course, emails, mobile apps, etc), so it can be similar to drawing diagrams and user flows, but wireframes need the representation of common components in digital products, such as buttons, images, text boxes, and others.

So I think the output is different, and also that wireframes do not need to be polished. The rougher the better most of the time, as long as you can understand the idea shown.