An Open Syllabus from OE4BW for Teaching the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science :async:

Jennifer Miller (Open Education for a Better World (OE4BW)), Geoff Cain (GBC Education Consulting, Open Education for a Better World (OE4BW))

Open Education for a Better World (OE4BW) is an international online mentoring program designed to unlock the potential of Open Education in achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In this session, a mentor-mentee pair from the fields of public policy and instructional design will share a project in which they develop an open syllabus for a course introducing the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science. By providing a forum to build open science communities, the project supports SDG 17, Partnerships for the Goals. Open sharing of scientific knowledge will be essential to realize the SDGs. Existing scientific institutions must adopt open science principles and scientists will need local and disciplinary communities of open practice. Scientists-in-training must learn open science principles early in their careers. The 15-week syllabus was created by adapting the open syllabus template of the Creative Commons Certificate Program. The course begins with foundational readings on the role of science in human rights and the SDGs, introduces the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science as a policy process and document, then leads course participants through exploration of individual principles of open science. The open syllabus format invites course leaders to add domain-specific examples. The course is ideally suited to build a local open science community within a lab, school, or department, or within a subject-matter community that spans the globe. The presenters are seeking partners to teach or co-teach courses based on the syllabus starting in Spring 2022, following the Recommendation’s anticipated adoption by the General Conference at its 41st session in November 2021.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_94.pdf đź“„

Presentation Details

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building capacity
Format: Pre-recorded Presentation
Language: English

Participate

Pre-recorded presentations will be added below by the author(s). Watch them anytime during the conference.

Join or start the conversations with the author(s) by replying below with questions or comments, paying particular attention to the relationship to the OER Recommendation Action Areas. Please also share related resources.

1 Like

Here is a link to the draft open syllabus: Draft syllabus available here: Draft 2 Open Syllabus UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science Course - Google Docs

Watch our presentation

1 Like

Hi! A sample week’s course materials have been provided on Wikiversity.

Your comments on the materials and syllabus are welcome - please reply or message me with your thoughts or questions!

Hello Jennifer and Geoff,
Excited to see this great example of an OE4BW project focused on teaching about Open Science. It is also a wonderful example of adapting existing OER namely the CC Certificate course to a novel context.

Although I work with faculty/staff in the two-year college space (not a targeted audience for your course) – I think there may be interest and value for science/technology instructors in community colleges. Community colleges do have students who want to pursue a science career and having their instructors share the principles of open science may inspire and encourage students who are early on this path and also perhaps allow for collaborations with experts in the science field. I look forward to hearing more this spring as the course rolls out …

1 Like

Una,

Thanks for your message!

We actually do think of community college STEM instructors as being within this space, and will try to frame our target audience to make that clear. Sometimes we conclude our target audience statement with “tenure track faculty…and beyond!” to signal that the course could benefit a wide variety of people in the education and research space.

We appreciate your words of encouragement, and thanks again for stopping by!

Jennifer

Hi @JMMaok from a fellow OE4BW participant! Thanks for sharing your work. Do you have a direct link to the sample materials you mention on wikiversity, or do I need to go to MiTeam?

I’d also love to chat about how we might work together to spread the open science message to biodiversity conservationists, both within and beyond academia. I’m also a fan of H5P for interactivity and look forward to seeing what you’re doing with it!

Thank you for choosing a CC BY licence!