Awesome Attributions and Lovely Licensing Statements (Open Oregon Webinar)

Here is a session worth attending, offered by Open Oregon Educational Resources, featuring @poritzj

This takes place (your local time) 2022-12-02T20:00:00Z2022-12-02T21:00:00Z

Awesome Attributions and Lovely Licensing Statements: How OER Practitioners Can Use Creative Commons Licenses With Style and Substance

Creative Commons licenses are the complex legal machinery underlying and supporting large parts of the modern open movement against the prevailing assumptions and implications of intellectual property law. But in the same way I can rely upon my car to get me where I need to go even though I have very little idea of how an internal combustion engine works, OER adopters, adapters, and creators can use CC licenses without getting an advanced degree in IP law. Still, if you use a car, you ought to fill it with gas, change the oil, and operate it in a safe and respectful manner. Likewise, a little general knowledge of the legal machine will help OER practitioners easily use CC licenses when and where needed, with confidence and competence.

Register now

1 Like

I am signed up and looking forward to this session. For more of Jonathan’s experience and interests, check out of recent OEG Voices podcast conversation with him:

Also of relevance, see a recent topic on attributing derivative CC licensed works… I am hoping to see more shared examples of including the statements in attributions that indicate how a work was modified.

Just out of this lively webinar, thanks @hofera and Open Oregon for making it available. The recording will appear sometime soon (with a lovely license statement) on the Open Oregon tagged archived webinars.

Jonathan’s information packed slides (come for the slides, stay for the fun footnotes) are available at https://poritz.net/j/share/AAaLLS.pdf.

He had a great opening exercise asking people to think or make quickly any kind of work that could be copyrightable (in the chat were shared some great haikus, todo lists, videos of cats). The whole idea was the way Jonathan makes it clear later that as soon as a work is put into a fixed medium, it is by default copyrighted.

I usually always go for a photo, instead I hastily drew my cup of coffee on my kitchen table.

Boom! its copyrighted, all rights reserved.

Until I add – Hand drawing of coffee cup by Alan Levine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike CC BY-SA 4.0 license.

There’s much more to this session, including discussions of fair use, the difference between academic practice if citation and attribution required by licenses, the TASL approach to attribution,… plus Jonathan handled some very specific examples asked by the audience in chat.

I took note from the part where Jonathan described the importance of including in an attribution for a work that was modified the explanation of how it was changed as a derivative work. A participant asked for guidance on how detailed a description needs to be (an echo of previous discussions recently here in OEG Connect)

Again, this was a highly engaging webinar, thanks Open Oregon.

Hi all, thanks Alan for your summary here! For those interested in the recording, it is posted here: https://openoregon.org/archived-webinar-awesome-attributions/

FYI,
Amy