:async: Do Traditional Knowledge Labels have the Potential to Ease Intellectual Property Concerns around Using Traditional Knowledge in OER localization, Remixing, and Publishing?

Author: Lauren Bourdages
Institution: Bourdages

Topic: Applications of Open Education Practices/Open Pedagogy/Open Education Research
Sector: Higher Education
UNESCO Area of Focus: Building capacity
Session Format: Lightning Talk

Abstract

This presentation will examine the question of how Indigenous Traditional Knowledges could be included ethically, respectfully and legally into OERs. My idea is that, to address Intellectual Property concerns, it should be possible for faculty members and librarians to form relationships with Indigenous communities in order to apply the Traditional Knowledge labels created by Local Contexts in conjunction with open licenses to OERs with the goal of fostering culturally appropriate uses of Traditional Knowledge in non-Indigenous contexts. The research was grounded in the Indigenous concept of relationality, or the connections that exist between all people and things while acknowledging that the primary concern of faculty members and Indigenous communities isn't that the Traditional Knowledge will be shared.

Keywords

- OERs, - Traditional Knowledge, - Traditional Knowledge Labels, - Indigenous Knowledge, - Indigenus intellectual property rights

2 Likes

Welcome to my lightning talk!

Watch the Lightning Talk here:

For a full transcript of the lighting, talk script go here: OE Global 2020 Lightning Talk Script - Do Traditional Knowledge Labels have the potential to ease intellectual property concerns around using Traditional Knowledge in OER localization, remixing, and publishing? - Google Docs

To download a remixable version of the slide deck go here: Do Traditional Knowledge Labels have the potential to ease intellectual property concerns around using Traditional Knowledge in OER localization, remixing, and publishing? - Google Slides

If you’re interested in reading β€œCommunity First: Open Practices and Indigenous Knowledge,” the report by Krista McCracken and Skylee-Storm Hogan that is mentioned at the end of this presentation you can find it here: Community First: Open Practices and Indigenous Knowledge – Krista McCracken

To learn more about the course for which the paper this lightning talk is based on was written please visit this website: About the Course – Indigenous Library and Information Studies

Please feel free to ask questions and have discussions below!

3 Likes

Hi Lauren. I watched this originally in October 2020. Took some time to think about it. I felt it was related to my work/goals. Since then I cam across similar topic at the Open Infrastructure Conference. I am working on tracking OER content usage. I think this is a crucial case in my work.

There two things that stood out for me that are related to my work.

1. Open with No-Derivatives
  2. Indigenous Community having access to financial benefits requires them to have ability to protect their TK
    What do you think about OER that contains sub-OER for which one may need to pay a nominal fee? A fee of which 100% goes back to the indigenous community? If this was technically possible to track etc. would that be palatable in the greater OER community? Or would need to create sperate modules with different licensing?
1 Like