Don't Miss CCCOER Webinar! AI & OER: Redefining Education?

AI! Have you had your fill? Is anyone really atop this? We’ve had a number of conversations here in OEG Connect, it’s on the agenda of most conferences, it’s all over our social media channels.

But together we can try, and we urge you to not miss a key webinar organized by CCCOER happening (in your local time) 2024-04-10T19:00:00Z - register now or during to join the webinar.

with guests Lance Eaton (College Unbound), Anna Mills @annarmills (City College of San Francisco), and Peter Shea (Middlesex Community College) - Lance and Anna were guests on an OE Global Live session in July 2023.

There are of course so many facets we are wrestling with, but I am hopeful we can harness some interest energy here in the specific issues related to Open Education and OERs, and expect to hear this tomorrow.

I high recommend reading and subscribing to Lance’s AI + Education = Simplified newsletter -in particular I point to the post he made in advance of tomorrow’s webinar

Lance always takes a practical approach, and presents an AI generated summary of 3 key recent papers related to AI and Open Education, but also responds with his own analysis. I find his comment about what I might say is more than a ‘weird tension’ but almost an disconnect:

Additionally, I do wonder if the article addresses the concerns about the weird tension with AI and OER. OER is a permission system based upon providing credit about how one’s work has been created. AI on its own doesn’t do that. So to create OERs from AI leaves a sour-taste in many active voices in OER (self-included) because credit for the original work is not evident.

Again, I urge you to make time tomorrow to be in this webinar (do not worry, it will be recorded for later sharing), and if you are there, or just want to toss in some ideas, the big question most of us struggle with, what can we do proactively?

I’ll be there and try to add some notes as we go to this discussion space.

1 Like

An hour was not nearly enough, but kudos to Lance, Anne, and Peter for leading this conversation. For those asking, the event site has the recording available (also added below), plus the slides shown, and likely soon the many resources shared in the chat.

Not surprisingly many of the audience are concerned about the implications of what “open education” means in platforms that are just hoovering up content for training with no regards for creator’s conditions, as Lance was said, this puts OER and AI in a “weird tension”

We do take Peter’s urgings that we must “play” as much as we can to understand, but also to demonstrate i practice and ethical and attribution minded approach, and what his institution, Middlesex College, is doing to build their own interface to AI tools.

As much as possible what we can do is share as much as we can the approaches we are taking to use AI in OER, and hope we can hear more from those here as to how they are using for content creation, integration with assignments, adding on or augmenting textbook content.

In the time taken to write a short post, I wonder what new stuff I have missed. The wave of what will be possible with video creation tools will be… interesting. Will we all have the ability to create what the early bird pros are doing with say Sora?

or will my attempts come off as weird and malformed some of my efforts in image generators? Does the ability to “easily” ?quickly" create images and video and text make us create more effective content?

I will aso add to recommendations above for Lance’s email newsletter to the AI+Academix one published by Bryan Alexander https://aiandacademia.substack.com/ (which includes thoughts on the impact of AI generated video on education)

@cogdog, thanks so much for putting a spotlight on this webinar. The discussion was :fire:. Along with the recording, you can also view the slide deck where the moderator and panelists contributed resources they recommend for further reading. Let’s keep this conversation going!

I’m all for that. It was almost the same day (?) Lance shared news from his institution on release of College Unbound’s student authored AI policy

https://www.collegeunbound.edu/apps/news/article/1911138

A model maybe other institutions are emulating?

But maybe something more specific to a follow up, I was asked recently for more specific examples how educators are putting AI to use
In creation/publishing of OER. What’s happening now, e.g.

• creation of media - eg @sushumna shared elsewhere her efforts to use it for video
  • generative text maybe for rewriting/ drafting content, or outlines
  • is anyone having success with using AI for creating alt text for media? How?
  • translation efforts like we discussed in an OEWeek live conversation
  • other ways of augmenting OER for activities, so called tutoring Khnamigo like uses
  • Peter shared some of the tools his college is using for supporting, how is it playing out in use?

I’m sure there’s more but I am curious to hear more specifics on the ground uses.

To answer myself (if you are tired of hearing from me, well chime in!) I just found via @downes OLDaily, from JISC, a set of 3 specific uses of AI in Higher education

This is part of the JISC hub on AI, or from the URL, a National Centre for AI – the post above is in a category of other posts listing AI use cases.

1 Like