:async: Electronic Portfolios: Open Pedagogy in Spaces of the Internet

Author: Rita Zuba Prokopetz
Institution: Red River College / Athabasca University

Topic: Applications of Open Education Practices/Open Pedagogy/Open Education Research
Sector: Higher Education
UNESCO Area of Focus: Facilitating int cooperation
Session Format: Presentation

Abstract

Electronic portfolios (ePortfolios) are a technology-enabled learning site that enable the creation of content, reflection on learning, documentation of growth over time, and the sharing of knowledge, skills, and resources. For students, they are reflective, curated repositories mediated through interaction with peers and mentors within a course, program, or across disciplines. For educators, they are a virtual library of curated open educational resources on which they rely to perform their craft. For researchers, they have become field sites where meaningful observations of online communities can take place. ePortfolios emerged as a sophisticated pedagogy during the mid-1990s with the birth of Internet-based web technologies, and have become a vehicle for information sharing, policy revision, curriculum update, assessment innovation, course redesign, peer-to-peer learning, and rich research in spaces of the Internet. These pedagogical tools are embedded in courses and programs and serve many purposes for the various stakeholders in educational institutions worldwide. Students have a platform where they can introduce themselves to potential employers nationally and internationally; demonstrate evidence of knowledge and skills; and showcase their accomplishments and learning to date. Educators can immerse themselves in an innovative professional self-development journey in order to engage in critical reflection and better position themselves as online educators. Administrators can continue the discussion on course- and program-level innovation, curriculum design, and innovative assessment format with colleagues at a national and international level. Policy makers can create their own ePortfolios to model the relevance of lifelong and lifewide learning and to show how these educational tools underpin innovation in regulations, guidelines, and policy making. As an elegant form of open pedagogy, ePortfolios are well positioned to transform past practices in the institution of education. This creative way to learn, co-create, and collaborate has the potential to help individuals in every nation demonstrate their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values while educating themselves and others in a formal, non-formal, or informal format.

Keywords

ePortfolios, open education, course redesign, curriculum update, innovative assessment, sustainable learning, research site, professional self-development

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Here is the “public” view of the session

Please let me know if it works - thank you! I look forward to attending some of your sessions at the Conference!

Rita

Thanks Rita for posting the video for your presentation, it works and looks great. I hope you don’t mind, but I made a small edit so that your video is embedded rather than a link out.

For everyone else this happens automatically if you put the web address for a video or a website on blank line when writing here. If you put the address in a sentence, it becomes a link, on a blank line it becomes an embed.

It also might help other if you pasted into a reply the list of references you showed in the video.

I hope people listening to your presentation will be posting their questions here. I can remember in the mid 1990s going to conference sessions in on eportfolios by Helen Barrett, following her work at https://electronicportfolios.org/ and collaborating with her on her interests as well in digital storytelling (does that have a place in eportfolios, I think so)

I’ve been long interested in the ways people value their portfolios when they are self-maintained/managed compared to being managed by an institution or third party provider. Ownership provides perhaps buy in but also more effort/skills to do; is this something your research has looked at?

Thanks for making your session available early, we are hoping other presenters do the same.

Thank you so much for editing my previous post and embedding my presentation properly - much appreciated!

Like you, I consider Helen Barrett - and her digital storytelling and ePortfolio body of work - to be of great interest. I have cited her in many of my papers, and continue to refer to her publications in my presentations.

As per your suggestion, I have posted below the list of references from Slide 11 - thank you!

References

Barrett, H. C., & Richter, J. (2018). Reflection4Learning [Website]. Retrieved from https://sites.google.com/site/reflection4learning/

Batson, T. (2018). The eportfolio idea as guide star for higher education. The AAEEBL ePortfolio Review, 2(2), 9-11. Retrieved from

Bloom, B. S., Englehart, M. D., Furst, E. J., Hill, W. H., & Krathwohl, D. R. (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals. Handbook I: Cognitive domain. White Plains, NY: Longman.

Bruner, J. S. (1996). The culture of education. Cambridge, MA: Harvard university Press.

Cuzzolino, M. P. (2018, May 29). Thoughtful pedagogy can support science learners grappling with epistemological conflict. Retrieved from https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/responses/thoughtful-pedagogy-can-support-science-learners-grappling-with-epistemological-conflict

Danielson, C., & Abrutyn, L. (1997). Introduction to using portfolios in the classroom. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Dewey, J. (1933). How we think. Buffalo, NY: Prometheus Books.

Dron, J. (2020, September 11). Skills lost due to COVID-19 school closures will hit economic output for generations (hmmm). Retrieved from https://landing.athabascau.ca/bookmarks/view/6578662/skills-lost-due-to-covid-19-school-closures-will-hit-economic-output-for-generations-oecd-cbc-news

Eynon, B., & Gambino, L. M. (2017). High-impact eportfolio practice: A catalyst for student, faculty, and institutional learning. Sterling, VA: Stylus.

Fullan, M. (2013). Stratosphere: Integrating technology, pedagogy, and change knowledge. Toronto, ON: Pearson.

Hattie, J., & Timperley, H. (2007). The Power of Feedback. Review of Educational Research, 77(1), 81-112.

Hoven, D. (2018, January, 8). [Online posting to EDDE 802 course Moodle]. Athabasca, AB: Athabasca University.

Krathwohl, D. R., Bloom, B. S., & Masia, B. B. (1964). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals, Handbook II: Affective domain. London, UK: Longman Group.

Light, T. P., Chen, H. L., & Ittelson, J. C. (2012). Documenting learning with eportfolios: A guide for college instructors. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

Lorenzo, G., & Ittelson, J. (2005). An overview of e-portfolios. EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative: Paper, 1, 1-27.

Love, T. & Cooper, T. (2004). Designing online information systems for portfolio-based assessment: design criteria and heuristics. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 3, pp. 66-81. Retrieved from http://jite.org/documents/Vol3/v3p065-081-127.pdf

Strudler, N. & Wetzel, K. (2005). The diffusion of electronic portfolios in Teacher education: issues of initiation and implementation. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 37(4), pp. 411-433. DOI: 10.1080/15391523.2005.10782446

Ravet, S. (2005). ePortfolio for a learning society. Champlost, FR: EIfEL. Retrieved from https://www.academia.edu/1073713/ePortfolio_for_a_learning_society

Rose, E. (2013). On reflection: An essay on technology, education, and the status of thought in the twenty-first century. Toronto, CA: Canadian Scholars’ Press.

UNESCO (2014). Education for All (EFA) monitoring report on teaching and learning for Development. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0022/002256/225660e.pdf

Wiggins, G. (2012). Seven keys to effective feedback. Educational Leadership, 70(1), 10-16.

Wulf, W. A. (1993). The collaboratory opportunity. Science, 261(5123), 854-855.

Zuba Prokopetz, R. (2019). Capstone electronic portfolios of master’s students: An online ethnography (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Athabasca
University, Canada. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10791/300

Zuba Prokopetz, R. (2020). BL best practices: Four constructs that underpin deep learning mediated by ePortfolios. The IABL Newsletter #5. Retrieved from

Good presentation Rita! I’ll share it with my students! :cherry_blossom:

How kind of you! I would love to see ePortfolios be in the hands of every student/educator/policy maker in the years ahead.

Please let me know if you need any additional resources for your students - I have been in love with/learning about ePortfolios/OERs for a decade now and all my work is available online (MERLOT has some of it listed).

Look forward to learning more about your initiative.

Thanks again!!

Ola!
Just noticed (from your intro) that you ‘may’ be educating students in Spanish - am I correct? Since OERs ought to be multilingual, perhaps we can collaborate and create some resources in Spanish (with your assistance) and (Brazilian) Portuguese (my first language) - something to consider for next year’s conference in France …
Thanks again for connecting!

Hello Rita! Perhaps we could talk and see possibilities! I teach in Spanish and Basque at the University. I have a Mooc in Spanish, about evaluation and intervention in handwriting, here:

and a OCW in Basque about Family Guidance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8M2sHaeyxg
I have friends at Porto’s University too. :tulip: