Global study on Open Education and Open Science: Practices, use cases and potentials during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond :sync:

Christian M. Stracke (Open University of the Netherlands), Daniel Burgos (Universidad Internacional de La Rioja (UNIR)), Ramesh Chander Sharma (Ambedkar University Delhi), Cécile Swiatek (Université Paris Nanterre), Aras Bozkurt (Anadolu University), Grainne Conole (Independent Consultant), Ebba Ossiannilsson (Swedish Association for Distance Education), Jon Mason (Charles Darwin University), Chrissi Nerantzi (Manchester Metropolitan University), Jane-Frances Obiageli Agbu (National Open University of Nigeria), María Soledad Ramírez Montoya (Tecnológico de Monterrey), Jin Gon Shon (Korean National Open University), Andreia Inamorato dos Santos (Joint Research Center European Commission), Robert Farrow (The Open University), Marian Wan (Taipei Medical University), Gema Santos-Hermosa (Universitat de Barcelona), Özlem Karakaya (Iowa State University), Vi Truong (Monash University), Cécile Swiatek (Université Paris Nanterre)

This paper provides an overview of the status of Open Education and Open Science for our global society in the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic: It presents practices and uses cases from 12 countries and global regions on the challenges for formal education during the COVID-19 outbreak. A special focus is led on the potential solutions and examples of Open Education and Open Science in these regional use cases. Their analysis and comparison present insights about the developed strategies and implemented practices in the different regions worldwide. And their discussion offers opportunities and recommendations how Open Education and Open Science can innovate and improve formal education in schools, universities and lifelong learning during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as well as afterwards.

Responding to the impact of COVID-19 on formal education, this paper profiles global perspectives of Open Education and Open Science through highlighting practices and use-cases from several countries and regions on the challenges and opportunities arising. By drawing on examples of extant practice, insights into effective strategies are presented as recommendations for how Open Education and Open Science can innovate and improve formal education in schools, universities and lifelong learning into the future.

Our responses to emerging challenges in education is of vital importance to sustaining its ideals and philosophy. With the emergence of COVID 19, one is tempted to either stay reserved for a variety of reasons or be inspired to embrace the ‘new normal’ COVID-19 has shaken all societies and the whole globe. As a consequence, as noted by a recent OECD report (OECD, 2020), the educational systems in all countries were affected and witnessed disruptions and partial lockdowns.

Our key interest is how potential solutions and examples of Open Education and Open Science have been introduced and used in different regions worldwide. Through the analysis and comparison of the regional use cases, we want to explore the developed strategies and implemented practices and how much they were built on Open Education and Open Science. We report on the first year of the pandemic until 11th of March 2021, the (sad) anniversary of the declaration of COVID-19 as pandemic by the WHO (2020).

The collected practices and use cases are following four guiding questions as basis:

Two general questions:

1. How was formal education affected by the COVID-19 outbreak?

2. What were the strategies and implemented solutions?

Two specific questions on Open Education and Open Science:

3. How much have Open Education and Open Science been proposed and addressed and what is the difference between original intentions and current real impact?

4. Which good practices, lessons learned and recommendations exist and how can Open Education and Open Science contribute in the future?

These guiding questions were formulated broadly so that they can easily be adapted for the regional reports to reflect the diversity of situations in relation to learning traditions, theories, support, practices as well as to given conditions and contexts such as educational systems, curricula, assessments, institutions, resources, infrastructures and laws.

Extended abstract: OE_Global_2021_paper_99_v2.pdf 📄

Webinar Information

This presentation is part of Webinar 07 Building capacity, Developing supportive policy taking place in your local time .

Webinar Access (registered conference participants only):
:tv: :arrow_right: Go to Webinar 07

UNESCO OER Action Area: Building capacity, Developing supportive policy

Language: English

See the other presentations that take place in this webinar.

Presentation Recording

Participate

Before the webinar the authors will be asked to reply below with links to their presentation materials, related videos, and other relevant links, as well as prompts for discussion here.

For anyone that missed the live session, an archive will be posted here as soon as possible.

Conference participants are urged also to reply below with questions, comments for the presenters or to share related resources.

1 Like

Hello authors!
I’ll be chairing this presentation… I figure out if all of you are going to be present during the webinar… :thinking: who will be your designated speaker (or speakers)?

I hope you have the chance to read my message on the general Webinar 07 page

Best regards,

2 Likes

Christian & Ramesh will lead the presentation. Daniel, Ebba, Marian, & Jon will be participating

3 Likes

Great! Thank you Jon

Hello Jon, Thank you!

2 Likes

Hello Professor Rosa, greetings. Looking forward to the webinar tomorrow. Best wishes, Ramesh (for Christian, Daniel, Jon, Ebba, Marian)

2 Likes

Hello @ramesh… I would love to have a brief resume of you two, if you have some at a hand, please send it to my email: rosa.ulloa@udgvirtual.udg.mx

It is great to be in touch with all of you @ramesh, @JonMason, @EbbaOssiannilsson, @dburgos, Marian and @Christian See you tomorrow :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hello @Rosiu ,

our great pleasure to have you as our session chair!

I have sent you my short CV and you can find more information about my activities online here: http://opening-up.education/

We ( @ramesh @JonMason @EbbaOssiannilsson @dburgos @wanhsu1234 and me = @Christian ) are looking forward to our discussion later today!

Warm regards from Germany
Christian

2 Likes

Good Morning dear Rosa, thank you. Yes, I have emailed it to your id. With best wishes, Ramesh

3 Likes

Dear all,

we are looking forward to welcoming you to our presentation of the global study on Open Education during the COVID-19 pandemic!
Please be prepared for a lively discussion!

Warm regards
Christian

2 Likes

Dear @Christian,
Looking forward to seeing you then.

2 Likes

Please access our presentation here our presentation 20210928 Global study on Open Education and Open Science: Practices, … Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing @Christian, I already take some info from the web.
Warm regards,

Very much thank you Ramesh, I will check it.
Have a great presentation

1 Like

Dear Rosa, thank you so much for your goodwill. See you in next 15 minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you guys! your presentation has interesting facts that lead us to reflection :thinking:. At least, I have a lot to think about and propose, on how to improve open education indicators. Here is a pic (from your presentation) that shows what I am talking about

1 Like

Dear Rosa,
Greetings.

Thank you so much for excellently chairing and managing our sessions. Your inputs have been very useful.

Take care and stay blessed.
Best wishes, Ramesh

1 Like

Hi Ramesh,

Yesterday you mentioned that the individual case studies are available somewhere. I am interested in the case study for The Netherlands. Where can I find that?

Regards,

Robert Schuwer

1 Like

Dear all,

thank you very much for joining our presentation of the global study on the impact of Open Education during the COVID-19 pandemic!

Our video recording and the presentation slides are published and available now (see our presentation announcement).

And I’m very sorry that finally I could not co-present it as planned due to family issues.

Here the link to the recording: OEGlobal 2021 Webinar 07 Building Capacity, Developing Supportive Policy - YouTube

Here the link to our paper: https://archive.org/download/oe-global-2021-papers/OE_Global_2021_paper_99_v2.pdf

And here the link to our presentation: 20210928 Global study on Open Education and Open Science: Practices, …

Our international team of co-authors from all five continents is very pleased about your expressed interest:

We are currently publishing the results from our reports and cases studies from 13 countries in journal articles (with open access of course).

And we are looking forward to our further discussions and collaboration to establish and improve Open Education worldwide!

Warm regards from Germany

Christian

1 Like

Hi Robert,

thank you very much for your interest!
We are currently publishing the results from our reports and cases studies from 13 countries in journal articles (with open access of course). And we are discussing with the editors how we can publish the national reports and case studies in parallel (also with open access). Thus, we hope that we can provide soon links to both, the journal article and the reports and case studies.
And we would be happy to discuss common publications in the future.

Best wishes
Christian

1 Like